• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone ever meet Sully? A really dry wit. Once when asked if the lack of pilots coming out of the military would make the airlines less safe (because we all know that only a fighter jock could ditch) he said, "Well.... to be honest, I learned a lot more about energy management teaching in gliders back home." Should we have affirmative action for those rated in gliders?

Waveflyer has admitted that he flies with great military pilots. Can we hear a little more grace and magnanimity from the other side of the peanut gallery?

Both sides have great pilots; it's just that the civilians aren't bi-lingual. Once, I jump seated on Greak Lakes and told the captain that I got checked out in the C-12 before I left. I wanted to give him some encouragement by appearing sympatico His reaction: "Wow! Awesome. What was it like flying something that big?"
I told him, "You'd be surprised how much it handled like a little 1900"

Personally as a heavy mil pilot I feel discriminated against by fighter pilots that don't have any experience hauling rubber dog pooh or passengers. I flew scheduled passenger flights all over the world and I am way more qualified than fighter pilots but they get all the breaks.... and their chicks are skinny with balloons on their chests.

It is just so unfair. Nobody appreciates heavy pilots, our chicks are fat, and we always lose the yellow snow contest.

:laugh: you rock!

In 10 years, there will be so few military pilots I bet the hiring will be 80-90% civilian everywhere. Now if they start hiring military UAV 'pilots' and they go straight to the majors, then the fix is in.

Waveflyer has admitted that he flies with great military pilots. Can we hear a little more grace and magnanimity from the other side of the peanut gallery?

Wave said a lot of other things without really being able to back them up (the secret handshakes in hiring and in military pilot selection), and this is not the first thread he has done this in either. He has an obvious chip on his shoulder. I think he is really suffering from "is that all there is?" syndrome. He spoke a lot about how he always wanted to fly in the airlines and how he never gave a hoot about flying in the military, and now that he has reached his goal he is likely thinking "that's it? that's all there is?"

People react differently to this discovery. Some rock starts soak themselves in booze and alcohol, some pilots seek outside interests, while others fly antique aircraft, and still others work in management, unions, or training. I think Wave takes out his frustrations by finding a group he does not identify with, and making them the source of his frustrations. I think its an unhealthy thing to do just as drugs and drinking are, but it is a very common reaction. I know he is a intelligent and thoughtful person, but like us all sometimes our biases get the better of us.

I want you to keep your pride of all accomplishments-
Just don't try and take away mine- especially when you do t have my achievements and are now looking for work in my area of expertise

With that I'm done

Fire away

What achievements do you have Wave that all us mil guys don't? Did you get some sort of medal that we haven't heard of? I your ILS really really good? "Your area of expertise?" Really? What area would be "your area?" Just curious here. I think you should have backed out of this when you were half-way to China on your digging, but I'm glad you stuck around. This is hilarious and pathetic all at the same time. Keep going!

Thoroughly disagree

You are biased-

Many of you fighter guys take your bad habits and crm all the way to the left seat-

Maybe you can't see it

Agree to disagree - as far as handling airliners- civs are tops-

But I'm over this- seems everyone is convinced their background is the best -

One group admits to being behind on day 1- shouldn't be that way at an end goal major

IMHO - go to a regional and get qual'd - esp fighter jockeys

Previous point is right on- my problem is not with mil pilots- it's with ex mil pilots in charge of hiring who establish a good ole boy network and hire their own at civilian's expense

I know I've been inflammatory, but the end point is still good-

Have Civilian pilots earned better than a 20% hiring rate?

I say yes.

That ought not be that controversial-
But like all things FI- attacking people's background has predictable results and ultimately just pissing in the wind

I want you to keep your pride of all accomplishments-
Just don't try and take away mine- especially when you do t have my achievements and are now looking for work in my area of expertise

With that I'm done

Fire away

Wave, when you claim things like "Many" and "civs are tops" you lose all your credibility. In fact it crosses the line into jealous envy.

Lets be real, the problem is the asshats who make it through, civ or mil, period.

Targeting a hiring process skewed to the BEST TRAINED pilot for the money, is again, jealousy. Mil guys will be more company centric, they are not stupid enough to want to go out on strike for silly ass ********************. So you are the civy hiring boss, charged with reducing overall costs, who do you hire Mr Civy? The mil guy all day long.

Being "behind the first few days" because the FO can't find the van to the hotel, really, that's your bar which must be crossed to prove "tops"?

Let me explain the mil guys area of expertise: the entire flight being hand flown, the bombs on target, airborne refueling in the weather at night over the North Pole, the load of MRE's pushed out to troops, etc. Then we fly an ILS to mins.

Sitting there at cruise for four hours and shooting a coupled zero-zero ILS that the machine is flying, pails in comparison.

I'm positive you have met asshat mil guys. I've met about the same number of civvy asshats, and mil ones to boot, about the same numbers for each brand. So, based on 75% of us being mil, that sure skews your average to the wrong side of your argument.

Last edited:
What achievements do you have Wave that all us mil guys don't? Did you get some sort of medal that we haven't heard of? I your ILS really really good? "Your area of expertise?" Really? What area would be "your area?" Just curious here. I think you should have backed out of this when you were half-way to China on your digging, but I'm glad you stuck around. This is hilarious and pathetic all at the same time. Keep going!
He has worked much harder than any of us who went through a military program where everything was handed to us. It is not fair that he does not get recognized for this extraordinary effort he has put out. He is upset than again when the military guy comes into the civilian world they have things handed to them in the form of an airline job. It is not fair that he worked harder and did not get the same breaks.

Latest resources

Back