• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty soon there won't be many military pilots due to UAVs, downsizing, etc. I wouldn't lose sleep thinking you're at a disadvantage as a civilian. Military pilots are going extinct.

Lots of very experienced acmi civilians with heavy time still on the street that were snubbed by FedEx.

Um...Fed Ex hires about 1% of the resumes they receive, and they go through frequent periods where they don't hire anybody. Like all airlines they snub A LOT of people. They snubbed me too and I am military.

Lots of very experienced acmi civilians with heavy time still on the street that were snubbed by FedEx.

Probably. Maybe the govt should step in and force FedEx to hire these guys! Didn't your parents teach you life is not fair? Those that bring what the employer wants to the table get hired. C-17 guys for example have very standardized training that is perhaps the best in the world. Uncle Sam spends millions training these pilots. Tons of overseas experience. Heavy experience. Operating under heavy pressure with minimal supervision. And most importantly a fully documented training record that shows their progression, strengths and weaknesses. In addition, many who do the hiring at FedEx are ex-mil and understand exactly what all the paperwork in front of them means. USAF pilots are generally a known quantity and employers like that. Maybe it's the "easy" route to recruit and hire these guys vs rolling the dice with a Kallita guy.

Well, you were Navy!
So that is why he is so cool! I don't know but its been said, Air Force wings are made of lead, sound off taker on down 1,2,3,4, Now I don't know but I've been told, Navy wings are made of Gold, sound off taker on down 1,2,3,4, A little joddy we used to sign when marching in AOCS.

Last edited:
One aspect of hiring is the background of the guy at the top. Many moons ago America West showed a strong preference for civ pilots over mil, so it cuts both ways. Maybe not currently though...

That data isn't accurate today yip-
Flat out
I have data from 3 majors- you're wrong

I don't have data but I read an interesting anecdote. Back when American's FEs started to flow back to Eagle, the old TWA guys had a much easier time than the "hired not acquired" SkyNazis. You see, with nothing but military time, that RJ was a real female dog for those fighter jocks.

Um...Fed Ex hires about 1% of the resumes they receive, and they go through frequent periods where they don't hire anybody. Like all airlines they snub A LOT of people. They snubbed me too and I am military.

From the mouth of a civilian friend FedEx did hire: military pilots (he can only confirm F16 pilots) get a different sim evaluation for one thing. After a few beers and ribs they revealed a lot to him.

Id say you're wrong and trying to make this about me and ego and anything but the clear discrimination against civilian pilots in the hiring process.

Swa put a class through with 26 out of 30 having military backgrounds.

Do you think that's a correct ratio? A fair ratio?

Honest question

Sounds to me like 26 of 30 have been vetted through a rigorous training process,the went on to continued success and SWA values that experience. Gear slinging in a 1900 on daddies credit card, not so much.

Latest resources

Back