• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, because you can't learn the nuances on the line.:rolleyes: Seems the hiring departments at every major airline would disagree with you at the rate mil buds of mine are getting picked up.

What the OPs discussion was referring too was that the UAL school house is a type course, with a tiny amount of operational discussion. You hit the line for IOE trip one with a type rating and not much else. Very OJT. If he came from the USAF it's very different. Navy however does it the same, train to proficiency and learn the rest on the job.

How is learning deice procedures in ORD any different in the right seat of an RJ or an A320? One is just a place you actually want to be.

I wonder if you are referring to the North UAL training center or the good ole boy down south "UAL" training center.

You are so full of crap as usual.

A 6 month course front to back includes the 95% of stuff you do beyond what it takes to taxi, takeoff and land, which is all you ever do in the airlines.

Most of those courses firehose you with less than a week or two of academics, tests, a few sims, and your butt is in the jet inside two weeks. To do a takeoff, landing and some approaches. Which is all you ever do in an airline.

Then you spend 5.5 months figuring out how to do that and drop bombs or pallets or such.

+1!!!!! 110% true.

Which is why military pilots should have to fly in the regionals for a while

They're flat out unqualified for major airline jobs in 2014

Absolute joke.

<< "Unqualified" major airline pilot in 2014 and 1,500 hour fighter guy.

I crack up every time I check FI after a couple of weeks. The manure gets deeper and deeper.

Last edited:
Or.. because many are the typical "yes" "get the mission done" types that have a hard time learning to fly the contract and uphold the CBA. Seen it too many times.

Bingo!
US commercial aviation?s love affair with the military is, however, about more than just avoiding the costs of training pilots. While it?s true that one can hardly distinguish the background of a pilot after a few years with an airline, as new hires, military pilots are often the least militant of labor groups. Until the end of the first contract negotiation they experience, their peers will often view them as Kool-Aide drinkers easily swayed by managerial agitprop.

Face it, the public thinks ALL airline pilots are retired AF. Mention even another branch to them and they look at you quizzically, unless they've seen Top Gun.

A well rounded pilot would have a military and civilian background. But then I'm just biased.

Absolute joke.

<< "Unqualified" major airline pilot in 2014 and 1,500 hour fighter guy.

I crack up every time I check FI after a couple of weeks. The manure gets deeper and deeper.

Yep, not incapable

Unqualified.

Refute it if you don't like it- but it is the truth. We don't drop bombs at 121 carriers.
I'm sure it was a hell of an accomplishment, and fun, and lots of respectable things- but it relates to airline flying about as well as a floatplane

Yep, not incapable

Unqualified.

Refute it if you don't like it- but it is the truth. We don't drop bombs at 121 carriers.

I'm sure it was a hell of an accomplishment, and fun, and lots of respectable things- but it relates to airline flying about as well as a floatplane

Unqualified?

A monkey with Microsoft Simulator and a few bananas is qualified to be a 121 pilot.

There are three fundamental qualifying skills for a 121 pilot.. 1) bitching, 2) suing, and 3) bragging.

Primate skills more advanced than monkeys are merely superfluous, thus mil pilots are lobotomized first thing at indoc.

Unqualified?

A monkey with Microsoft Simulator and a few bananas is qualified to be a 121 pilot.

There are three fundamental qualifying skills for a 121 pilot.. 1) bitching, 2) suing, and 3) bragging.

Primate skills more advanced than monkeys are merely superfluous, thus mil pilots are lobotomized first thing at indoc.

Says the man wanting more pay, more benefits, and a better QOL. But I digress......

Yep, not incapable

Unqualified.

Again, your own management would refute this. Don't hate because you had to buy both your jobs.

Latest resources

Back