• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty much guarantee the guy with float plane time as much better stick and rudder skills than the average AF guy.

I've flown with 300-hour private pilots whom I would trust with my family many times more than a 1,500-hour military guy. I've also flown with some high-time military guys who are absolutely fabulous.

What matters is the attitude you bring to the cockpit - way more than anything in your logbook.

The bigger the chip on their shoulder, the bigger the (male appendage) they are. There also seems to be an inverse correlation between one's braggadocio and that person's flying skill. Those tend to be the ones "monitoring" for much of their time with me.

Pretty much guarantee the guy with float plane time as much better stick and rudder skills than the average AF guy.

I've flown with 300-hour private pilots whom I would trust with my family many times more than a 1,500-hour military guy. I've also flown with some high-time military guys who are absolutely fabulous.

What matters is the attitude you bring to the cockpit - way more than anything in your logbook.

The bigger the chip on their shoulder, the bigger the (male appendage) they are. There also seems to be an inverse correlation between one's braggadocio and that person's flying skill. Those tend to be the ones "monitoring" for much of their time with me.

Example of Skill #3.

Why is the failure rate so much higher then for civilian background guys compared to military background guys. BTW. I have flown with 19000 hour pilot I would not trust my family with

IBNAV8R said:
I've flown with 300-hour private pilots whom I would trust with my family many times more than a 1,500-hour military guy.
Really?! :puke:Many times over!! Slight exaggeration I'm thinking.
I'd like to see you choose the pilot when your family has to fly out of an airport in Colorado, after a ski vacation. Somehow I doubt Mr. 300hrs is going to be selected.

Why is the failure rate so much higher then for civilian background guys compared to military background guys. BTW. I have flown with 19000 hour pilot I would not trust my family with

That data isn't accurate today yip-
Flat out
I have data from 3 majors- you're wrong

That data isn't accurate today yip-
Flat out
I have data from 3 majors- you're wrong

Well I have my own data from my airline that you don't have access to

DCAA320

"If for one second you think you can out fly a Naval Aviator (% rise), you need to think again bitch. Do military guys know your CBA and 117 .... NOPE not at all. That will be OJT"

As far as CBA, I sure hope that isn't covered during any official, sanctioned OJT, aka IOE or OOE, etc.

Disco
"I'd like to see you choose the pilot when your family has to fly out of an airport in Colorado, after a ski vacation. Somehow I doubt Mr. 300hrs is going to be selected"

I personally would like to put my family on a plane flown by someone specifically trained to operate at the ski city airports, be they civilian or military.

Signed,

A pilot specifically trained to operate at Colorado ski city airports.

As a caveat I am a 100% civilian pilot, but have many buddies who are in military aviation.

Here is my take on one possibility.

As a straight civilian pilot you take VERY few check rides and training is generally pretty relaxed and most flying you do to gain hours is, again, fairly relaxed. We dont have the "if you fail you are out" or a strict "if you dont do this in 10 hours, you are out" mentality like the military. So when it comes to check rides and structured, high speed training like the airlines have, the nerves act up to a high degree.

As a military pilot it seems, again from what I know from my buddies and other second hand knowledge, that they are always training and checking and what not from day 1 and their overall system is constantly high speed hence the guys with 200 hours flying F18's and doing carrier landings. Most of their flying isnt all that relaxed its training, more training, and combat. So when it comes to high speed training and checking events, again, such as airline training, they dont get all worked up about it because its "the norm".

Take both guys and put them on the line and the straight civilian pilot is now back in his element of a fairly relaxed atmosphere and he becomes a good stick all the sudden because he isnt nervous. Now put the military guy on the line and the relaxed atmosphere is out of the norm, but their skills dont change because they werent nervous to begin with.

Again, just a theory I am throwing out that might be one reason for what you see.

Latest resources

Back