• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No moron, there needs to be a level of competency.

For example, flying into Europe last week the civilian captain is verbally going over the missed approach procedures, except he was out of order so I am like no no no (so was the IRO) it's like this. WTF

My point is mil guys will know memory items and limits at the very least.

Also why do you civilians fall asleep so fast?

You don't know jack ******************** about CRM so don't try to preach to me.

On an entirely unrelated note that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your posts in this thread, does your carrier happen to have a bid avoidance list for its pilots to use?

No moron, there needs to be a level of competency.

For example, flying into Europe last week the civilian captain is verbally going over the missed approach procedures, except he was out of order so I am like no no no (so was the IRO) it's like this. WTF

My point is mil guys will know memory items and limits at the very least.

Also why do you civilians fall asleep so fast?

You don't know jack ******************** about CRM so don't try to preach to me.

Your CRM skills are amazing! Can you teach us more?

The military guys are good at networking and helping each other get jobs. That is a skill that more civilians need to work on. I'll give them that. The rest of this stuff is nonsense.

The military guys are good at networking and helping each other get jobs. That is a skill that more civilians need to work on. I'll give them that. The rest of this stuff is nonsense.

One aspect of military pilots that I think is overlooked here is leadership experience. Military pilots don't just fly planes. They manage large groups of people, serve as operations officers, manage squadron safety programs, etc. Many have masters degrees. Airlines like Dal, UA, AA/US like to see a well rounded individual and a military aviator fits that description well. There is more to military aviation than just flying a plane.

One aspect of military pilots that I think is overlooked here is leadership experience. Military pilots don't just fly planes. They manage large groups of people, serve as operations officers, manage squadron safety programs, etc. Many have masters degrees. Airlines like Dal, UA, AA/US like to see a well rounded individual and a military aviator fits that description well. There is more to military aviation than just flying a plane.
Because once you get to the right seat of a major airline you will be using those skills as you check the flight plan, do your flows, do the walk around, order your coffee from the stews.... And once you get to the left seat, all you will want to do is go to work, fly, and go home. Nothing more. Period.

Because once you get to the right seat of a major airline you will be using those skills as you check the flight plan, do your flows, do the walk around, order your coffee from the stews.... And once you get to the left seat, all you will want to do is go to work, fly, and go home. Nothing more. Period.[/QUOTE

I don't disagree with you. I have spoken to some recruiters for major airlines and they have stated that a well rounded person is highly desired in today's major airline pilot market. I didn't make this up. Its what I have heard and been told. I imagine things will change with time.

Last edited:
Because once you get to the right seat of a major airline you will be using those skills as you check the flight plan, do your flows, do the walk around, order your coffee from the stews.... And once you get to the left seat, all you will want to do is go to work, fly, and go home. Nothing more. Period.

Speak for yourself.

You guys have it all wrong.....

THE reason SW (in particular) prefer to hire mostly military pilots has nothing to do with flying ability. It's because many of them question or even hate the idea of a "union", and will vote for whatever the company wants, even if it's to the detriment of labor. They are a known quantity, IE: "SIR,YES SIR", loyal to "The Borg" types, and management loves them. This worked fine in the pre GK, "we're all in this together" days, but I'm afraid that they're gonna get a lesson in Labor 101 that they won't soon forget, but then it'll be too late.

It's even better when these guys get elected to "union" positions (the "need to lead" is strong in many of them), and they have no clue that they AREN'T (or shouldn't be) an arm of management. The list of former SWApA folks now working for the G.O. is long and distinguished.

Many ex military are staunchly non yes men and are creative thinkers. They do exist.

The problem is perhaps the particular type of military pilot that SWA chooses. Of course the tools like to hire their fellow tools. Same with 'yes men'. Its like inbreeding - its a lot of fun, but there are sound reasons for it being out of fashion.

The pilots that you describe in your post are essential for the way the company is changing. It's hardly surprising considering the companies image. It's even less surprising when you look at what's happening with labor relations at this time.

Why is the failure rate so much higher then for civilian background guys compared to military background guys. BTW. I have flown with 19000 hour pilot I would not trust my family with
Then don't take your family flying with you....

Latest resources

Back