Air Force Physical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sean

Am currently in the UPT selection process and am taking the physical soon. Anyone taken it recently and know what kind of stuff they check? Thanks.

Initial Flying Class 1

I am in the process as well, and I just received my initial flying class 1 on Feb 26. I will try and describe what happened.

1- Checked in at the Flt Medicine building and was sent to the Lab to get about 6 vials of blood drawn and gave a urine sample for lab work, not drug testing. (15-20 min)

2- Went to radiology to get chest x-ray. (15-20 min).

3- Went back to flt medicine and had airman preform quite a few tests. Red Lens Test, Visual Acuity, depth perception, color vision (each eye individually), intraocular tension, field of vision, point of convergence, height, weight, sitting height, buttock to knee length, Amsler Grid test, hearing test, EKG, and 3 different blood pressure and pulse readings. (60-90 min)

4- Next I waited for about an hour to see the Flight surgeon. He preformed a true 'physical examination'. He check movement in my arms and legs, listened to my heart and lungs. He looked in my eyes and ears, checked my field of vision, pushed, pressed and knocked on my back, chest, and abdomen. He checked for testicular cancer, and hernias. He had me bend over and spread my butt cheeks, but did not check the ol' prostate. All of this was done completly undressed, but he gave me a little gown thingy. (2 hrs, total with wait time)

4- Provided another urine sample for drug testing purposes.

5- I went to the dental clinic. I had to do a bit of waiting there. They do 3 x-rays, 2 bite wings, and 1 panoramic. Then you will see the dentist who will do a quick check of your teeth. (Exam and x-rays 30min, waiting, 1.5 hrs)

6- Finally, I went to the opthamologist. I was made to look in a few machines while they calculated my refractive error I think. The technician was about to do the intraocular tension again, but I told him I had already done that. Next, he did the corneal topography. (Pretty cool machine that you just stare into.) Then he dialated my eyes and fitted me for a prescription. (I have good vision and did not need a prescription, but everyone does this. Don't get worried if they sit you in front of that machine with all the different lenses.) From what I hear, it is simply an eye exam.

Overall, nothing was too stressful or painful. Everyone I encountered was very friendly and more than willing to answer questions about the tests they were performing and your results. I had a commissioning physical done about 3 weeks beforehand and brought all those results with me. There were several test that they did not have to preform because they already had the results. (I still listed those test above, even though I didn't do them.) I passed everything without a problem, so I can't answer any questions about waivers, but feel free to ask specific questions about the tests, and I will try and help.

Good Luck!

Raider:

Thanks for the info, if I have any further questions I'll let you know.

--Thanks again

Air Force physical

Raider-
I am probably going to be enrolling in the Air ZFoce ROTC program and hoping to get a flying slot. I was wondering if you knew all the measurements for sitting and so forth. Also, are there any automatic disqualifiers for medications or surgeries.

Thanks

Blue Team:

I would recommend that you go to the AF Pubs website (www.afpubs.af.mil) and download AFI48-123 Medical Examinations and Standards. It has all types of info regarding flight physicals and disqualifiers. Right off the top of my head, sitting height has to be 34-40 inches. Buttock to knee length no greater than 27 inches. The only disqualifing surgery that I know of for sure is Lasik for the eyes. I have heard that waivers are being issued for PRK (another eye correction surgery). Fortunatly, my health is very good, and I have not had to research any disqualifiers. I would suggest downloading the Regs (PDF format), and reading through the Medical standards for Flying Duty (Attachment 7). It is broken down into specific areas and should be fairly simple to find what you are looking for. Another good PUB is AFPAM 48-133. This has descriptions of the methods that are used for most of the tests you will encounter. If you want to provide specific problems that you are concerned about, I will try and help. Good luck!

How about Physical Endurance?

Does the Air Force or any of the Military Branches give you guys a Physical Endurance Test. i.e.. 2 Mile Run, Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, Pull-Ups? Im just wondering as Im somewhat of an old man but nevertheless I still enjoy keeping in shape. Its always kind of nice to compare my stats to you younger guys. So here it goes.

Yesterday I ran 2 miles in 42 mins. You should have seen me on the back stretch, I was really moving. Then I decided what the heck, lets go all the way so I knocked out some push-ups. Wow, was I surprised. Not only did the first one go off with out a hitch, but the second one was masterful as well. I thought about trying a third one but since I had already set a new record I didn't see any point in running up the score. My sit-ups and pull-ups went extremely well also. I cant believe it but if I was a few decades younger you guys would be in some serious pain competing with me. LOL.....
Seriously, Dont you have to take these type tests before your admitted to the Armed Forces? My Real Scores when I was going thru ROTC Basic at 18---
2 Mile Run - 12min 50sec,
Push-ups in 2 Min - 64
Sit-Ups in 2 Min - 67
I wish I could still do it.

Physical Fitnes Test

From my understanding of the process, I will be required to pass a physical fitness test when I go to OTS. They did not do any type of fitness test during my commissioning physical, nor did they do anything like that at my IFC1 physical. The requirements for me (23 year old male) are 53 situps, 42 pushups, and 2 miles in 16:30.

Latest resources

Back