Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrewBlows

Go Tigers!
What does it take to get hired at Air Canada?

They want a Canadian ATP and "landed immigrant statues" or Canadian citizenship. What does it take to convert an FAA ATP to a Canadian ATP? What is "landed immigrant status" and how long can one expect to gain such status? How long can one expect to become a citizen?

Also, I'm a typical American which means I don't speak French, how much of a disadvantage will this put me?

Merci.

The answer to that has become fairly simple. As of the 1st of December of 2006, if my memory serves me correctly, a bilateral agreement between the two countries has become effective that allows for a quick conversion from one license to another. Quick being relative here. The centerpiece is a 25 question test on a mix of Canadian regs, Met. and other ATP material. However, prerequisites are a Canadian Medical, logbook with verified hours and of course an application. I am not sure that you are required to have immigrant status in order to attain the license. Study material is a little tougher to come by, but not impossible. You can get specifics about the requirements at the following website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/USConversion.htm
Command of French is not a prerequisite anywhere, not even at Air Canada. It is merely a preference with the carrier. I am in the process of taking this very test in a few days as I am an American living north of the border.

Last edited:
I just completed it. Get your Canadian medical first, you can find who gives them on the Transport Canada website. While you are waiting for the medical to come in the mail, you can begin studying for the written, a 25 question multiple chocie test.

Study the CARS and the Canadian AIM. Emphasis areas are Canadian airspace, Flight and duty and currency requirements and airport operations. There is no gouge or test available as the Canadians do not publish the exam like the U.S. does. There is the Culhane program, but this is geared to the canadian ATPL exams of the SARON, SAMRA, and IATRA exams. The most useful book you need to get is the Canadian AIM.

When you fill out the paperwork... the most difficult process, have your training records with you, this means if you were type rated on anything have a copy of the form the TCE or APD filled out at the time of the check. Also, you will need to have an ICC endorsement in your logbook, results of a PC is not considered for instrument currency in Canada.

As for the Landed Immigrant Status.... marry a Canuck. It like the Green Card in the U.S. You can apply for it if you legally lived in Canada for three of the last four years. I am looking at moving there myself and going through the process in the hopes of getting on at Air Canada.

True about the french requirement not required, but carriers like Air Transat will send you to learn the language if you can't speak it already.

I hope this helps, good luck.

I gotta get my Timmie Ho's

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I'm taking my ATP check ride in two weeks so I'll get the ball rolling after that. I'm based in Detroit and looking to move closer to the airport, maybe I'll look into Windsor? There are about 200 Air Canada new hire Flight Attendants at the hotel I'm in right now, with some luck I can be married before I take my check ride.:D

Latest resources

Back