Age 65 and CX and EK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cr7driver

What effect would the new age 65 rule in the US have on hiring trends at CX and EK?
My guess would be that the pool of DEC candidates will dry up a bit, but pilots looking to be FOs would increase?
Any thoughts??

Just had this discussion with a Capt. who was heading off to 'expat land' after his retirement in Jan.

His opinion is that EK and others will have to sweeten the pot to attract DEC candidates. The only exception to this are the AA 777 CA's who are sitting on $2-3M in their retirement who could (and should, IMO) take the money and run.

But, as usual, we'll have to see. TC

You have been able to work to 65 at CX for a while now.

Hi!

At Emirates (EK) they dropped their age 57 limit a while back, and just changed their retirement age from 60->65.

I checked the Cathay (CK) website recently, and it still said the retirement age was 55. It could be the webpage had not been updated???

cliff
YYZ

If you are flying the freighter out of North America you can stay until 65. If you are check and training anywhere I believe it's 65 as well, but maybe 60.

I always thought CX does not hire any DEC....but I might be wrong. EK did for a while but as far as I know has stopped it for the moment. Other airlines like Etihad, China Airlines and Korean though still do...

So it might have a bit an effect on the pool...but as said before we have to wait and see...

because i'm slow..........what's a DEC? Street CA?

Direct Entry Captain or Street Captain come into a company as a captain. They do not come into a new company as FO's and have to upgrade to Captain.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back