• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have more chance of being murdered in Johburg than in Baghdad. No kidding. S Africa has horriffic murder, rape, carjacking and theft rates...and it's getting worse.

Air Serv, an American humanitarian aviation organization, is usually looking for pilots.

I'm currently working for them in the Congo. We also have operations in Mozambique, Uganda, and Chad. Additionally, we're always needing people for our Afghanistan operation.

The work is hard but rewarding, the pay is marginal, but I'm not here for the $.

PM me if you have any q's.

jt

You have more chance of being murdered in Johburg than in Baghdad. No kidding. S Africa has horriffic murder, rape, carjacking and theft rates...and it's getting worse.

Ill second that.....I got lost off the M1 (?), ended up in Hillbrough, yikes.....according to the guys I was living with, I am lucky to still be here today.....

Air Serv, an American humanitarian aviation organization, is usually looking for pilots.

I'm currently working for them in the Congo. We also have operations in Mozambique, Uganda, and Chad. Additionally, we're always needing people for our Afghanistan operation.

The work is hard but rewarding, the pay is marginal, but I'm not here for the $.

PM me if you have any q's.

jt

Dont listen to JTrain, the malaria has creeped into his head :) .......j/k.............

I can also be of assistance, as I worked in the Afghanistan operation until recently. PM me with any questions about that side of the operation.

And no, we were not CIA or Air America, they were in the hangar next to mine :)

Dont listen to JTrain, the malaria has creeped into his head :) .......j/k.............

Hey, I'm 100% malaria-free and have been since stepping foot on the African continent!

Enjoy your time in DXB (shouldn't you be doing things other than posting on FI) and then your week at the beach. I'll think of you while I'm schelpin' my therapeutic milk and vaccinations around the DRC.....

jt

Enjoy your time in DXB (shouldn't you be doing things other than posting on FI) and then your week at the beach. I'll think of you while I'm schelpin' my therapeutic milk and vaccinations around the DRC.....

jt

What can I say, posting here is just part of my morning/breakfast/newspaper routine. Its a disease. FI is evil.

I'll think of you while I'm schelpin' my therapeutic milk and vaccinations around the DRC.....

jt

That sounds like the perfect job for me. Caravan, the odd dirt strip, low pay, Africa, doing some good along the way.

Only 800 more hours to get to AirServ's SE captain mins. Sigh.

That sounds like the perfect job for me. Caravan, the odd dirt strip

JTrain, correct me if im wrong, but arent most of the strips you guys hit dirt strips?

Side note-----I saw some of DC's pics of the places they were taking the BE20 into, and even they looked fairly "muddy" and unimproved for a KingAir.

That sounds like the perfect job for me. Caravan, the odd dirt strip, low pay, Africa, doing some good along the way.

Only 800 more hours to get to AirServ's SE captain mins. Sigh.

Hey, it ain't that bad.

Both myself and the recently-retired JohnnyP were way over the Air Serv hour requirements when we were brought aboard, but the important thing to note is that we are here because we WANT to be here, helping out in the humanitarian air links that Air Serv provides.

Don't come to Air Serv if you're just a timebuilder, there are far easier ways to get yours hours, god knows the regional minimums have fallen to rock bottom numbers.

I flew for almost 6yrs for a regional, this job is much more demanding, but rewarding in ways you can barely imagine until you experience it.

If Air Serv is a place you want to be, get ahold of the pilot recruiting folks at the home office. They are really nice people and if this is a place you want to be, show them that, and I'm sure they'll slot you in for an interview.

Just make sure this is the kind of place you want to be - read up on the Air Serv website about what the company does, what it stands for, the demands and stresses that will be placed upon you.

If you have any more q's about Air Serv, feel free to PM me.

jt

JTrain, correct me if im wrong, but arent most of the strips you guys hit dirt strips?

Side note-----I saw some of DC's pics of the places they were taking the BE20 into, and even they looked fairly "muddy" and unimproved for a KingAir.

Yes - they do take the King Airs into a lot of dirt fields in the DRC. I only got about 50hrs flying it around here, but I've seen pictures of it caked in mud.....

But, I returned to my senses and came back to the Caravan. King Air flying is boring in the Congo - punch up to FL250, and cruise for 3hrs. The Caravan, with lots of legs, short, challenging, rough field landing strips, lots of loading/unloading, and of course lots of MSF hotties to be hauled around, is my kind of airplane :)

jt

Latest resources

Back