Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aplus9

Long Enough Member
Rumor has it that Vance and Laughlin are approving some waivers that do not have Gaurd or Reserve jobs pending. I know it's not true for Columbus. Any Vance or Laughlin guys willing to share how they were able to do this, if true? I realize that Wing and OG approval is huge, but we have a lot of change of commands coming this summer in those positions, so hope springs eternal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The only stoploss waiver approved w/o a ANG/AFR in the mix (at least from the tweet side) was for a guy retiring who had some family medical issues. Other than that, I don't know of anyone who got it approved that way. I have heard of some guys getting approval contingent on getting hired by a unit somewhere. My waiver is up at AETC HQ right now w/o a firm hire letter, and I'm not expecting approval.

stop loss without guard/reserve

I know an AETC pilot who was approved for a waiver without a position number at a reserve unit. What this person had was a letter saying that someday when the unit could find a spot for him/her that they would bring them in.

My two cents:

There are only two types of waivers: 1) a position number (guard/reserve job) or 2) a hardship waiver (like medical issues,etc). The letter of intent to hire is just a liberal view of a position number waiver. Since many guard/reserve units are full they don't necessarily have a position number to give an individual but he/she has been hired and will be brought on when the unit has an opening (in all liklihood at the end of stoploss when the mass exodus begins- but possibly before). The AETC CC is acknowledging the fact that although people may not have a "position number" they are still hired and should be treated the same as a person with a position number.

I have been told by a reliable source that the above two waiver requests (including the letter of intent) are the only ones that will be approved in the white jet world. Even if the Laughlin and Vance Wing kings sign off on the request it must be signed by the AETC CC or his designee. This is the only level of approval that matters and good luck if you don't fall into one of the two above request categories.

Good luck to everyone!!

Latest resources

Back