Aeroflot Recruiting Expats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comments on expat pilot recruitment from Aeroflot CEO:

"Amendments to the country?s air code in July 2014, allowing foreign pilots to be hired by Russian airlines, have drawn an enthusiastic response from Aeroflot.

The carrier was given permission to hire up to 80 foreign pilots and Saveliev says the positions were so popular that 10 applicants applied for each one.

Aeroflot is now in the process of training these pilots, and eight are already flying.

The move to liberalise pilot recruitment was essential, says Saveliev, as Russian pilots are being lured to work abroad by the attractiveness of being paid in dollars and euros rather than roubles.

?We have a deficit of pilots,? he says. ?It?s a huge and crucial point for Russian companies, because Russian legislation allows our pilots to work abroad in Europe and Asia, and Russian pilots are very high quality and very popular abroad.

?We try to increase the salary, but Russia is Russia, it is not Europe ? we have a different situation, a different average salary.?

http://www.flightglobal.com/interviews/year/15/vitaly-saveliev/interview/

The "average salary" combined with a fairly (in some cases very) high cost of living makes SU not the most attractive of expat opportunities.

...SU not the most attractive of expat opportunities.

Yet the CEO said they got 10 applicants for each open position. Any idea if that 10-per is normal or below normal in the expat world ?

Yet the CEO said they got 10 applicants for each open position. Any idea if that 10-per is normal or below normal in the expat world ?

Hard to say. I suppose it would depend on who these 10-per are. Are they people with the sort of backgrounds where Aeroflot is one of only a few options or are they people who would be competitive elsewhere, but truly want to fly for Aeroflot?

Are they people with the sort of backgrounds where Aeroflot is one of only a few options or are they people who would be competitive elsewhere, but truly want to fly for Aeroflot?

ike,

That seems like the question.

Is Aeroflot considered a good place to work...or the employer of last resort as an airline, independent of the SU as a country ?

I know absolutely nothing about them.

Last edited:
ike,

That seems like the question.

Is Aeroflot considered a good place to work...or the employer of last resort as an airline, independent of the SU as a country ?

I know absolutely nothing about them.

Sorry, didn't see your question before. I suppose it's something in between. What speaks in their favor is that at least they survived all of the country's turmoil, managed to run a professional enough operation to join Skyteam, fly good equipment, and have enough government backing to where I don't think they'll go away. The few people I know there are "not unhappy". I can tell you that had Spirit not picked me up, I would have given them some very serious consideration. That being said, I don't think I'm a particularly telling case since I'm fluent in Russian and the very dream of flying for me started with Aeroflot.

Latest resources

Back