Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pinguin

hi, and thanks for any advice given.
I been with Airtran for a few months and so far its been very nice, I got a call yesturday for an Interview with Cathay Pacific, Should I get a job offer what to do? anyone any info on Cathay

thanks again

Just remember, the bigger the airplane the farther it goes and the longer you'll be away from home!

Sesrch this board for past posts. From what I can remember the previous posts about Cathay were all BAD. I would stick with Airtran. Good luck.

Man, I have been very happy at FL, but I guess it comes down to personal preferences. You can find a lot of info on Cathay on pprune or some of the other more international boards. Most of what I have seen about them has been negative.

I think AirTran is the right place to be, at the right time. I hired on in Nov, and have only had a few days of reserve, been a lineholder since IOE, loking forward to quick upgrade, and have flown with a lot of great guys who are very positive about the company and the future.

If you think that long-haul international stuff is for you, go to the interview, and ask them the HARD questions. If you still think you would like it better than Citrus, then do what makes you happy- You'll make two people happy- yourself and one of the guys waiting to get on here!

Good Luck

Like Ty said, check pprune.org for the dirt on Cathay. The pay sounds alright, but if you were considering living there, the cost of living in Hong Kong is very high. Big, beautiful, long haul airplanes. There was a recruitment ban issued by their union, I can't recall if that is still in effect. This was in response to the arbitrary firing of 51 hostage pilots. Get the full story, tread carefully, eh?

As Cardinal said there is still as recruitment ban in effect at Cathay and you would be considered a Scab if hired on now ? That in itself makes it unpleasant. The cost of living is high in Hong Kong. Try $3000 per month for a two bedroom apartment in the mid-levels of Hong Kong Island, but you can live there cheaper if you are not picky about quality. The recruitment ban is the big issue though and the reason they are interviewing in the states, me thinks, is that there are desperate people here who will ignore the ban.

Don't scab - stay away

IFALPA Asks ILO to Probe Abuses at Cathay Pacific

The International Federation of Airline Pilots' Associations (IFALPA) has formally requested an investigation by the International Labor Organization (ILO) into the practices of Cathay Pacific Airways management in the ongoing dispute with its pilots. IFALPA charges that Cathay Pacific management has violated international standards of worker protection agreed to by many nations, including China. The ILO is the UN agency which monitors social justice and internationally recognized human and labor rights.

The letter written by IFALPA president, Capt. Ted Murphy, to the Honorable Juan Somavia, Director General of the ILO, cites violations by Cathay Pacific management of several ILO conventions, including freedom of association and protection of the rights to organize and bargain collectively.

Captain Murphy wrote, "In my long career as a pilot, as a representative of pilots and as President of IFALPA. . . I can honestly say that I have never seen an attack on a union quite like that being waged by . . . Cathay Pacific."

The letter cited the unfair termination of 51 employees without cause, specifically union committee members and negotiators, and continued patterns of abuse. These include intimidation tactics against union members and clear indications of Cathay Pacific's intention to eliminate the effectiveness of the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA), the representative body for Cathay Pacific's 1,600 pilots.

IFALPA's request for an investigation marks the second time in a month that a UN body has been alerted to the circumstances surrounding the Cathay dispute. In February, the HKAOA sent a letter to the UN's Office of the Commission of Human Rights asking for an investigation into labor rights in Hong Kong.

The HKAOA, has been engaged in one of the longest running labor disputes in history, dating back to 1993. Currently the company refuses to negotiate a settlement with its pilots despite repeated attempts by the pilots to ask management to come back to the table. Meanwhile the 51 fired union pilots and their families rely on their colleagues for welfare support.

In recent weeks, international labor organizations including ALPA, the Allied Pilots Association, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT), and the AFL-CIO have expressed increasing concern about the situation in Hong Kong and the government's failure to uphold basic labor rights.

It's possible this isn't totally correct, but I heard a CX capt was recently fired for throwing peanuts at the CX CEO, in a bar.

Apparently Richard Branson then hired this Capt at
VIRGIN BLUE (they said all R Branson would have done if someone threw peanuts at him, is throw the peanuts back).

I heard CX is down on US pilots (I think the way i heard it is that out of 6 well qualified guys interviewing , mostly Americans, only one got hired and he was Canadian)

i say if that's the kind of flying you want to do, go for it. besides, that would be a job opening at air tran, a place where me and alot of other people would love to be!

Latest resources

Back