• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accelerated Flight Crew Crash in AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simple wiggums- You stated in a previous thread that you and Brian were not associated with sunbird--Straight out lie!!! Care to go back and edit your post?

Last edited:
Keep in mind, this thread is about the Apache crash from Accelerated Flight Training. This isn't a thread about digging up incidents from other flight schools, just to make Accelerated not look like the red headed step child of flight schools.

RJPilot,

If you really know the story about what happened then LET'S HEAR IT!!! I think we'd all like to know! Tell us what happened, and where you got the facts from. Maybe it could end a lot of the rumors people might be hearing. But, the posts about incidents from Sunbird are pretty useless on this thread. Nobody cares.
If you want to defend your point, then tell us what happened.
That way your statements might gain an ounce of credibility.:eek:

RJPilot: Once again you attempt to undermine the credibility of another member without proof. Please post a link to where I have supposedly made a mistake so we can all view it. If I have truly made an error I will admit to it and correct it.

Now as FlyinBrian, JediNein, azPilot, AzAvaitior and myself have requested, where is the facts you said you'd use to defend Accelerated?

AZPilot
If you really know the story about what happened then LET'S HEAR IT!!! I think we'd all like to know! Tell us what happened, and where you got the facts from. Maybe it could end a lot of the rumors people might be hearing. But, the posts about incidents from Sunbird are pretty useless on this thread. Nobody cares.
If you want to defend your point, then tell us what happened.
That way your statements might gain an ounce of credibility.

RJPilot
As I said before, TIFFiN FLEW THE PLANE ON THE CHECK RIDE PRIOR TO THE CRASH. The posts about SUNBIRD ARE NOT USELESS SINCE THE POSTER'S WHO REFRERED TO AFCT AS A "pilot-whore training bordello" Taught at the SUNBIRD WHO HAD NUMEROUS CRASHES. This resembles the pot calling the kettle black with out facts about this crash.

As I said before, TIFFiN FLEW THE PLANE ON THE CHECK RIDE PRIOR TO THE CRASH. The posts about SUNBIRD ARE NOT USELESS SINCE THE POSTER'S WHO REFRERED TO AFCT AS A "pilot-whore training bordello" Taught at the SUNBIRD WHO HAD NUMEROUS CRASHES. This resembles the pot calling the kettle black with out facts about this crash.

A "pilot whore training bordello?" I guess you're referring to FlyinBrian's post? I've read his comments and have to say they are 110% CORRECT. Any school that pays its instructors $5 an hour to teach should be referred to that, at the least.

Do you have any more info on the AFCT crash? We know Tiffin flew the plane prior to the crash, but what was wrong with it?
Why did he bring it back and refuse to fly in it afterward? Post what else you know, unless what you posted above is all you know. If that's the case, fine and it will continue to appear as if you don't know any more than the rest of us

And, once again, nobody wants to hear about incidents at Sunbird. If FlyinBrian did instruct at Sunbird, who cares? I"m sure he was being paid a lot more than $5/hr to sit in the backseat of an airplane and calling it instructing. As you can see, once again, his "pilot whore training bordello" comment is right on. :eek:

RJPilot,

Quit bashing other schools it has NOTHING to do with what might have happened last weekend. If you know more details which you feel would enlighten those who think AFCT is an unsafe place to fly then post them. Otherwise let it go. There are plenty of schools and employers where people have flown with them and survived. That does not mean they are safe. Many pilots take risks for a variety of reasons. Some survive and sadly some don't. This accident may be no different than someone flying a small cargo plane into known icing conditions because they were afraid to lose their job. Again for the record all of my posts and the majority of others have tried to stick to information about this school and this accident vs. using personal flame attacks. Grow up.

I'm glad you know who I am I don't think it's a real big secret around here. I don't imagine that you are going to let me know who you are, but I would find it interesting. Sunbird had its share of mishaps over the past year, there is no doubt. Every flight school has a few mishaps. I guarantee you that none of ours happened while an instructor was sitting uselessly in the back seat. If memory serves, I think azpilot is correct in that only one of our incidents was caused by a mechanical issue, and that was during a maintanence test flight. We did those flight tests to make sure that there wouldn't be a mechanical failure when we returned the aircraft to service. That way, we could better avoid killing our customers by giving them unsafe aircraft.

I will honestly and openly address anyones questions about any public information about Sunbird. But trying to divert attention to my former employer (an organization that I respect.) does not address the criticisms that we all have of Accelerated, which I will summarize below so that you can address them if you wish.

1.) Instructors cannot do their job from the backseat even if there is a legal loophole that may or may not allow it.
2.) Their maintanence department is not adequate for the number of planes they fly.
3.) They don't pay their instructors, thereby selling out the true professionals in the industry

The first two are safety related, and since you still haven't provided us with your "inside information", we suspect that they could have something to do with the recent crash. The third criticism is a matter of professionalism that we could discuss until we're both blue in the face and never reach an agreement.

BTW, keep up the personal attacks. I find them humorous, and anything that makes me smile here in cubicle-hell is worth reading.

Oh, I didn't directly address the fact that I am now the "pot calling the kettle black."

I will be the first to admit that in 2001, Sunbird aircraft were involved in several incidents. But as Wiggums said, very few of them were with an instructor on board. I can think of two cases where there was an instructor on board. One was the above mentioned maintanence flight, in which I think the instructor did the best job possible under some very difficult circumstances. He was able to save himself and his passenger because he was not in the back seat.

The other one was a genuite CFI screw up, and the instructor was fired the next day. Sunbird is a good school that had a rough year. But the incidents were almost all normal things that happen with inexperienced pilots. (By the way JediNein, to make a blanket statement that Subird doesn't know how to teach landings is pretty harsh, and in my opinion unfounded.)

I think that anyone in or outside of aviation can see that Sunbird's incidents bear no resemblance whatsoever to the crash in Nogales. Sunbird does not engage in the practices that we are criticizing AFCT for. Your "pot calling the kettle black" has no merit.

::carefully tries to avoid getting wet from the pissing contest::

Okay, I'm confused (when am I not!?) - how exactly does the student benefit from having the instructor in the back seat? I'm assuming that two students are put up front, however it's not as if both are manipulating the controls at the same time - what do I care if I pay $70 for an hour of manipulating the controls or $35 for a half hour of doing it and watching someone else do it for the other half hour? I guess there's some benefit of watching others train, but I just ask for rides and sit in the back to do that. If I'm building time and want to split hood and saftey pilot time with someone, I wouldn't have an instructor in the plane anyway.

Never heard of this whole instructor in the back thing before...weird.

The 3-some defined:

Instructor in back supposedly giving instruction logs the entire flight. He/She can log the time in their sleep as long as no snoring is heard.

The pilot "under the hood" can log the time.

The person in the right seat logs the time as a safety pilot monitoring what the pilot, sole-munipulator, is doing.

So there you have it.

So at AFCT people are paying $55 an hour to fly a twin each. Instructor is paid $5 an hour. (I know yawn here comes the you are just jealous you are not getting all that multi-time reply) All ATPS may work the same way with 2 pilots no CFI in the twin but I am not sure of this. However at All ATS you are paying around $110 an hour.

There are many debates about whether to log PIC time as a safety pilot as well. I am one that believes it is ok to do this.

Another motto is - "Log what you need, fly what you can"
Sadly many subscribe to this way of flying.

"Never wear sandals in a porta potty, the pissing contest gets real messy..."

- AZPilot

Latest resources

Back