• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dashtrasher

Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 11, 2003; Page E04

A lawyer for Mesa Air Group Inc. told a federal judge yesterday that the carrier faced serious obstacles that could thwart its effort to acquire Dulles-based Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc.

"We cannot be certain that a merger will be completed or not," Mesa attorney Gregory A. Markel told U.S. District Judge Rosemary M. Collyer during the final day of a two-day hearing on Atlantic Coast's request for a temporary injunction to block the takeover. Collyer is expected to issue her ruling within a week.

Mesa launched its hostile bid for Atlantic Coast in October. Atlantic Coast had announced in July that it planned to sever its 14-year United Airlines partnership as a regional operator of United Express flights and transform itself into a low-fare carrier.

In court, Markel cited Atlantic Coast's injunction request as one key obstacle to Mesa's takeover. Atlantic Coast has gone to court to block Mesa's move, arguing that Mesa and United Airlines used anti-competitive tactics in a bid to stop Atlantic Coast from becoming a low-cost airline.

Markel also said another Atlantic Coast partner, Delta Air Lines Inc., could ultimately help quash the takeover bid. Under an existing contract between Atlantic Coast and Delta, Delta has the option of canceling its partnership if Atlantic Coast's ownership changes. A cancellation would saddle the new owner with upkeep costs of $20 million a year on 30 outdated Fairchild Dornier jets that Atlantic Coast uses on the Delta flights. That additional cost could make Mesa's unsolicited offer, now valued at $461 million, less attractive for Mesa shareholders. Mesa said it was in talks with Delta about the contract.

The uncertainties made it unclear "if Mesa will be successful" in its takeover attempt, Markel said.

On Tuesday, the Securities and Exchange Commission said that Mesa could begin soliciting votes from Atlantic Coast shareholders on its proposal that Atlantic Coast's board be voted out and replaced by a slate picked by Mesa. But Mesa executives were waiting for a ruling from Collyer before they begin soliciting Atlantic Coast shareholders.

dashtrasher said:
A cancellation would saddle the new owner with upkeep costs of $20 million a year on 30 outdated Fairchild Dornier jets that Atlantic Coast uses on the Delta flights.

"Outdated" DoJets? That's an odd choice of words.

Intruder One,
What does being slow have to do with being outdated. The CRJ is a slow jet, is it outdated? Just because the Donier is no longer in business doesn't mean the jets are outdated. You are showing you know about as much as the typical reporter which is nothing.

727RedTails said:
Intruder One,
What does being slow have to do with being outdated. The CRJ is a slow jet, is it outdated? Just because the Donier is no longer in business doesn't mean the jets are outdated. You are showing you know about as much as the typical reporter which is nothing.

Not to get in the middle of a pissin g contest, but.. Do you really think the CRJ is slow? Do you know what our cruise speed is? And how our cruise speed compares to larger aircraft like the 737, md88, f100 ?

It is slow in the climb, no doubt, and it takes a long time to climb. Sure, it is fast descending---but so is everything. A 737-200 can climb to cruise at 320 kts/.76 all the way up to cruise, and that is an old airplane. On the CRJ jumpseats I have done, they had a hard time keeping 250 through 16-17,000ft and up.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

I was leading the pack out of MCO today heading north. Atc, for some reason, starts asking speed in climb to the guys behind me, and slowing all of them. When he got to me-say speed-I said 320, he asked again, I said 320, he asked a third time-320 pause, all other aircraft "normal speed"....LOL...(It was a repo flight though...ERJ)

B

Interesting. Every 737-200 I ever js on cruised at .67 or less. And your saying they climb at .76 or they can climb at .76?
An airplane that cruises at .77, and can cruise at .80 with a little more gas is not a "slow" airplane. I thought it was funny that the guy was bashing another pilot for not "knowing" airplanes while he was making an obvious uninformed comment about the crj. It is not a "slow" airplane. And I won't argue with you about the 200. I only know what I have seen from the js, and they never cruised faster than .67 when I was on board. In fact, it was usually .63 or so.

General, you must have been climbing on one engine if they can't maintain 250 through 16,000. Yes the CRJ is slow in the climb but not that slow. We can maintain 290 through about 230 then it starts to slow down, however the mach number usually never gets below .68 or so. The trick is to not climb at 1500 to 2000 ft/min. Climb out at 1000 ft/min passing 180 and the CRJ does just fine

Latest resources

Back