• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Abu Dhabi slaying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the reasons my wife prefers living in the UAE over the U.S. is the fact that she feels safer in Dubai due to the low crime rate. Plus we would rather not live in the same country as Sniper.

I am glad you feel safe.... Stay there dude

Murder rate UAE .92/1MM population
Murder rate USA 5.0/1MM population.

Seems to me the real newsworthiness of this story centers precisely on the fact that the UAE is historically/statistically so free of such horrific crime...and the recent news about the Islamo-whackos encouraging this type of lone wolf attack against Westerners.

This from the OP's news link:

"The attack on the teacher...comes just weeks after the U.S. embassies in the Middle East warned citizens of an anonymous posting on a jihadist website encouraging attacks against teachers at American schools in the Middle East."

Islamist encouragement for this type attack has been widely reported in recent news.

The question, with no answer yet available, then becomes whether this event is a harbinger of more such attacks against Westerners, in previously safe places, by nutcases with Islamist inspirations/motivations.

And, yes, we've had similar events here too:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...oore-oklahoma-workplace-attack-police-n212396

The difference is that the USA isn't an Islamic country with a history of safe haven for Westerners.

Nobody is safe here...and we base our expectations on that.

Last edited:
IQ of 86 with 140 degree temperature explains your statement
Is it BobbyBiplane or Bobby Bipolar

simple can't teach stupid Bobby Bipolar

You certainly do try though.

I believe the saying you were looking for is you CAN'T FIX STUPID. However, if anyone is qualified to teach stupid, it would certainly be you.

I am often amazed at comments from many Americans who have never lived overseas regarding the 'danger'. Of the modern and developed first world countries out there, and I would include the UAE in that, the United States is easily the most dangerous and violent country to live in. I get more scared about violence when I am back visiting in the United States than I ever do in the places I go outside of the United States.

Mexico, our southern neighbor is 100 times more violent than the U.S., check the murder rate in Juarez and they lead the most violent American city by far. It's not even close. You don't know what you're talking about.

Mexico, our southern neighbor is 100 times more violent than the U.S., check the murder rate in Juarez and they lead the most violent American city by far. It's not even close. You don't know what you're talking about.

Well, not quite 100 times... With about 21 murders per 100,000 people, Mexico has a little more than 4 times more murders per capita than the U.S. However, that doesn't even put Mexico in the top 20 countries with he highest murder rates. Honduras is the leader with more than 90 murders per year per 100,000 people. There are some truly dangerous places in the world.

It is fair to recognize the US is firmly in the more dangerous half of all countries and is ranked very high when looking at developed first world countries which are the countries NEdude was talking about. However, Russia is definitely a first world county and their murder rate is double that of the US. You could argue Brazil is a first world country and it's rate is 7 times that of the U.S. So, when NEdude says the US is easily the most dangerous first world country, he is technically overstating the truth a bit. That said, I agree completely with his sentiment. Many countries that typical Americans consider dangerous are far safer than the US, and the US is one of the most dangerous first world countries.

From my friends with families in the Emirates ... None. This is being viewed as both a very unusual event within the UAE but something that happens back home regularly. Check the Atlanta area statistics. Here's a hint: Atlanta ranked as the sixth most dangerous city in the United States.

Bob

Sure, but not at a high level mall.

Latest resources

Back