Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brokedash

Member of the DX A-Team
So now that the path has been cleared for the merger to happen, what say you on the eventual location of the merged SOC/OCC?

Doug Parker has said Dallas time and again, but is that what will happen or is he just saying something pleasing to a new employee group he is inheriting?

I think PIT and DFW both will put up a strong showing to be home to the merged entity. However I think other US strongholds might be interested in having a chance at it, such as PHX regaining what they lost in 2008 or possibly the DCA/Northern VA area, which was once home to the old US Airways.

That's my .02 cents, how about yours?

Most people's money is on Dallas as the location of the merged OCC. There are those who put forth arguments about how there is more space in PIT than in the DFW facility, and those who say it could be PHX or CLT for various reasons, but that could be as much wishful thinking as anything based in fact. In any case, something official should be coming before too long.

Houston would have been my bet for the combined UAL as well due to the tax climate, but Illinois and Chicago offered the company significant incentives to have the joint HQ in Illinois. Never mind all the employees who now face a higher cost of living for housing and taxes in Illinois. Of course, many of them did receive a nice raise moving to the United Airlines pay scale.

In any case, one group of employees will have to move in order to retain their jobs. There could be a number of dispatcher retirements on either side based on the final decision.

There will definitely be some attrition, as the age demographics of both work groups are skewed toward retirement age. US is looking for possibly 10 Dispatchers right now, and the openings are posted on the website. I would post the link but I am using a borrowed laptop and can't figure out the cut & paste function.

Houston would have been my bet for the combined UAL as well due to the tax climate, but Illinois and Chicago offered the company significant incentives to have the joint HQ in Illinois. Never mind all the employees who now face a higher cost of living for housing and taxes in Illinois. Of course, many of them did receive a nice raise moving to the United Airlines pay scale.

In any case, one group of employees will have to move in order to retain their jobs. There could be a number of dispatcher retirements on either side based on the final decision.

Agreed. The only reason the merger didn't happen the first time is because HQ and SOC would have been in Houston and the Chicago political machine couldn't have that. Of course there is no reason why SOC couldn't have been left in Houston.

Not sure what you mean by moving to the the United Airlines pay scale. Last I checked the dispatch group was two unions operating under two different contracts.

They will have to merge at some point, and I am pretty sure PAFCA will be the surviving union. They'll get a raise.

Latest resources

Back