AA/TWA Single Carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TO/GA

Good news to some, not to others, but the NMB has ruled today that AA and TWA are a single transportation system. The merged senority list will take effect and by contractual obligations AMR will have two month to recall the 209 in the November furlough group. That group of 209 may not go to training until all the crews from the retiring 727's are retrained, but they will be on payroll and their probationary clock will begin ticking.

I sincerely hope it's not bad news for anybody, but barring any wild unforseen moves by AA it should actually be good. Ironically, those among the 209 who've been benched and getting Eagle captain pay are about to take a pay cut upon recall. Funny how things work out sometimes.

So long, ALPA, and hello APA. Frankly I don't believe ALPA will miss us.

Let's hope that they don't replace the 208 with former TWA folks...
It'll be interesting to see if the company finds room to train them or if they get paid to sit at home until there's room. Nothing would drive the suits at Centerport more crazy than that.
Of course in typical AA fashion they coould blow it off and tell us to file a grievance like everything else in the contract. :(
Now on to the flowback issue...

Re: 208...

Herk Bubba said:
Nice to see the NMB has ruled. The Nov group should be back on property by May 1st (In accordance with Sup CC).

I think that May 1st may be premature. Though they made the announcement today, according to what ALPA sent us "The final representational certification ruling will take place in approximately 35 days." So I guess today was like a pre-announcement. Regardless I wish a speedy return of all furloughees.

The National Mediation Board (NMB) has just ruled that AA and TWA are a single carrier. Under this ruling, the NMB gives the
combined carrier's two pilots unions 30 days to determine who the representative union of the single carrier will be. The TWA-LLC could petition for ALPA representation providing they get enough support to force a representative election.

From what APA has stated May 1 should be the recall date. The 30 days to determine the union representation should not be a factor. However, we will have to wait and see how AMR interprets this. They would love to delay our return until the training department catches up with all the retraining of the 727 crews.

I think it is good news myself, it sounds like business is actually picking up. From what I hear, the TWA side is actually short FO's so hopefully AMR doesn't furlough any more. If those guys are getting paid as they said they would do... and we all know AMR sticks to there word, then it is possibly a step in the right direction.

Just to clarify Eagle does have a 3000 our requirement to upgrade but not 1000 pic. After your probation year ends all company time is doubled if need be to meet the 3000 hr rule. This isnt such a bad thing if you think about it, unless you dont meet the minimums. 3000 hours isnt asking a lot for a new captain.

good news

good news is when people are recalled because they are needed not because some court rules

Good News .... Yes both those reasons. The court ruled and by contract those 208 AA pilots will return. Also, these pliots are needed. I am sitting reserve right now looking at open time and the number of reserves available to cover the trips and we are short one pilot for tomorrow. This is a continuing trend. Furthermore, as stated previously, management has asked Reserve Captains on the TWA side of the house to fly in the right seat. There is a need for bodies throughout Americans system. So good news??? You bet!!!

I am starting to feel a bit more optomistic. As one of the few guys who got all the way thru and then before class date, was told that I had no job, I just hope they pick up where they left off, once they start to hire again. I am told by a friend on the inside in recruitment that they will, but I am still worried. Even if it takes 2 years or more... That would be nice.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back