AA-Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jeff Helgeson said:
Yeah, but it will most likely be mostly regional hiring.

lol you took the words right out of my mouth (good meatloaf song...)

i'm thinking the AA hiring boom won't be until about 2010...

No hiring boom, but no more furloughs either. Don't know about recalls. My guess is another year.

AA is hurting for pilots now, but that is the summer flying season. The hurt will wear away in the fall. Good luck.

Compared to the other legacy carriers, AA has been pretty tight-lipped and quiet. I suspect that Mr. Arpey is just trying to outlast somebody . . . anybody to get some capacity out of the system and give some temporary relief to lousy revenue. However, it looks to me like the courts aren't going to allow any legacy failures with carte blanche to failed managements.

AA will probably pull a profit for a couple of quarters, but it's not going to be a "recovery." I think AA is going to continue to tread water unless fuel costs go down to $40 or so. Doubt if they'll expand or contract . . . for the foreseeable future.

Majors will hire 10 times as many pilots in 2007 than they did 2003, that my friends is a boom

It is too bad that AA won't be among those majors that will be hiring in 2007. AA should have adequate pilot staffing for fall given the schedule reduction. With that in mind, I would expect (and hope) that recalls will start around January or February as AA spools up for the busy spring and summer schedule.

The 800 I heard was a rumor on recalls.

Looking at various web pages and talking to guys, it does not seem to be the case.

Recalls may start in 2006.

I have 794 folks senior to me on the street.
Another 3 years at the best.

Unless fuel prices and other factors kick in.

With the stock price being so high right now, several hundred guys planning on early retirement changed their mind.

Have also heard that AA have $3.6 Billion in cash sitting around. ..(?)

pilotyip said:
Majors will hire 10 times as many pilots in 2007 than they did 2003, that my friends is a boom

AA 10 x 0 = 0

Clambake

AA furloughee March 2003

pilotyip said:

Majors like UAL, DAL and NWA? Please cite your source of insight or is it just a personal guess?

Somebody already beat me to it, but it is worth repeating: 10 X 0 = 0.

A major?

A major is defined by having 1 $B in revenue, I would bet by 2007 ASA and ComAir will be majors. Hiring by majors and potential majors in 2003 was not 0, SWA, JB, AirTran, now all majors, were hiring, a good guess is at least 500-1000 were hired by a major in 2003. So hiring of 4000-6000 by the majors in 2007 is not an unrealistic assumption. Right now CAL, UPS, FedEx, AWA, AirTran, and JB are all hiring, probably in the 2500 to 3000 ranges this year. This is my fourth time through the cycle. In 1973 the airlines crashed just about the time was going to leave the Navy, everyone said the glory days are over. In 1983 my reserve unit was full of airline wannabes, who felt it would never come back and they had missed the boat. Some of them made Captain at AA in five years. In 1993 the famous "Will fly for food" posters" were seen at LAX, and everyone lamented It was great while it lasted". Now we are in the 2003 "It will never be the same again", my guess the cycle will repeat, but in each cycle avaition hiring redefines itself but the numbers go up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back