Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dirkdigler

American Airlines Retires Its Last Boeing 727

MIAMI, Apr 30, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- American Airlines will operate its final Boeing 727 passenger flight today, marking the retirement of an airline industry workhorse by its largest operator. American operated the biggest 727 fleet, at one time flying 182 of the tri-jets.

American employees, customers and reporters will gather this evening at Miami International Airport terminal B to watch the final four 727 flights from Miami, all departing Miami between 7:10 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. EDT. The last 727 departure from Miami will be AA flight 926 to Raleigh/Durham, which will receive a traditional water cannon retirement salute on taxi-out. Passengers on flight 926 will receive certificates commemorating their historic final 727 flight on American.

The 727 was significant to the development of today's air transportation system. The earliest model 727s entered service in 1964, helping bring the first pure jet service to many smaller communities. A unique high-lift wing design, its rakish "T-Tail," and three powerful aft-mounted turbofan engines allowed the 727 to economically serve airports too small for the larger first- generation jetliners, like the four-engine Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8. There were 1,832 Boeing 727s produced -- a production run surpassed only by the 2,800 Boeing 737s built thus far.

"The popular Boeing 727 is a landmark aircraft design, often called 'The DC-3 of the Jet Age' because of its versatility and performance," said Gerard Arpey, American's president and chief operating officer. "The 727 served American's customers dependably and comfortably throughout our system for many years. We salute the retiring 727 for its contribution to American's success."

American is replacing its 727s with a newer Boeing -- the 737-800 twin- jet. This "New Generation" 737-800 flies approximately the same number of passengers farther and higher, yet consumes about 60 percent less fuel per passenger than the 727 tri-jet it replaces. The 727 is the last aircraft in American's fleet to require a three-person flight crew. Automation on newer airliners replaced the necessity for the flight engineer position.

The 727 was my favorite airplane. It's wing design was remarkable for its time. Probably still is because airports of today have longer runways than were available then. So need of high life wings are no more. Flight test had it landing in 900 feet but at low weight.

Question: I thought United Airlines was the largest operator of the 727 with over 200 operated at one time. Is this correct?

The 727 is IMHO the prettiest airliner to ever fly. Sad to see it disappearing. I guess I'll have to try and jumpseat on Delta, Northwest or Pan Am just to get one more ride on the best airliner ever.

No more .89 when you are running behind sked. now it is just .805 and look out for the bow wave. The 727 was the first jet that I flew with the exception of a couple ours of LR24 time. What a sweet airplane, there is nothing like coming back to flight idle at 330 and gliding all the way to the ground spooling up at 1000 feet. Many good memories, I hate to see her go.

Are there any fast jets left flying at the majors? Seems like all the new stuff is slower.

I recall being in a Delta J/S and seeing an L1011 doing .89, and have seen the 727 do the same.....but asside from the UAL & NWA 747's (which can do .90 I am told) is anything that fast anymore? I hear the 777 does .86, any one confirm?

I'd like for a 777 driver to stop by as well. Maybe he/she can explain why it seems like nobody can land the d*mned thing without sending me to the chiropractor! :D

golden age 3 holers

Sometimes I say I'd trade my life right this moment to be test-flying at Edwards with Yeager's bunch. But if there was a runner up position it would be to have started an airline career in a Connie and have seen the golden age and jet aviation come about and then retire at the confortable age of 60 on September 10th, 2001, and burn holes in the sky with a Traumahawk for the next 20 years.
However, since I don't have a time machine handy, I am thankful that I at least got to be part of the end of the airline service life of Dc-10's and tristars and, of course, the 3-holer boeing 727. Beautiful airplane's. Getting on one is almost like a time machine, I sit in a row that people over 30 years ago climbed into, when the exact airplane had it's day in the sun as the newest, best thing.
Viva la 727! or something like that.

--Philip

Well, there are plenty of MD-11's as well as 72's arround the globe. Delta still has multiple airframes and they are not done yet. I love flying on them and so do my freinds. Will see you at the grave yard in, lets say, 20 years? Hope I am right. See Ya.:D

THE BEST jumpseat ride I EVER had was on a 727. This is truly the end of an era. I will definetly miss the 3 holer. Thanks for so many years of reliable service!

Latest resources

Back