• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA: How to Address/Phone change?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure Southwest made him resign his AA number anyway, but to each his own. Good luck at SW.

I still think that if AA wanted to they can train 150 a month, you forget that TWA also has training facilities. As for 727 retirements, yes, but they are still taking 9 777's, 15 767's and 40+ 737-800's. They will sell off the 717's and some of the TWA 767's but that is not imediate. I also think that as the economy heats up, the airline with the capacity will be the airline that gets the business. And as mentioned above, AA has the cash to add capacity while the others just shrivle away into 2nd tier airlines. I'll bet on it.

I believe your figures on deliveries are incorrect. Previous announcements by the company show that it will take deliveries of 9 aircraft this year, in a mix of 75s, 76s, and 777s (press releases immediately after 9/11.). All 737 deliveries have been deferred at least until 2003. There are going to be many fewer airplanes on the property at the end of this year as opposed to last. Here are a couple of ask and answers addressing this:

Q: Does the 2002 operating plan call for opening DCA 737 domestic bid status this year or in the near future? If it's not addressed in the plan, do you have any guesses as to when it might happen if at all?

A: No. Since we are not taking delivery of any new B737s for more than a year, it is doubtful we will open up any new B737 bid status.

Total Number of Aircrafts

Q: After buying TWA last April, how many aircraft did the combined companies have at that time? After the retirement of the 727's, how many aircraft will we have as of June 1st?

A: In April 2001 we had 897 aircraft combined with TWA and AA. By June we will have 828 aircraft combined.

Bottom line - we need to start taking deliveries of some of these deferred aicraft to get everybody back off the street.

Ok, I don't know how old that info is, and you may well be right. But I read in a press release about a month ago, that AMR and Boeing came to an "agreement" on the delivery of aircraft and those were the numbers that were given thru 2003. So either, they changed their mind, or I read a phantom release (which I doubt). If you go to smiling jack's hangar and read their Message board, you will also see a similar post there stating that they are indeed getting these planes, but that they are also retiring a similar number of 727's and TWA stuff. So make what you want of it, I still say that if American wants to go back to pre-911 schedule as they are soon to announce, they can't do it with 60+ fewer airplanes.....unless they were planning to use those 126 RJ's to replace mainline flying :(

Believe me, I am trying to be an optimist as much as anyone else, being on furlough sucks. I'm just trying to keep the chaff separate. Be careful of the context from which that "pre 9/11" schedule was stated. What you are referring to was a press release regarding our Atlantic flying out of New York. It stated that American would be returning to the "pre 9/11" schedule - out of New York for Atlantic flying (although the press release did not specifically state that, a little ambiguous) - that is true. However, it has been stated several times by company folks that we will not acheive a true pre-09/11 schedule for a couple of years. Again the driving factor is - aircraft. Again, I hope I did misinterpret everything I've been reading on the company ask and answer forum, but I'm betting that the last furloughees will be recalled by late 2003 - at best. I hope they keep you guys in the queue and get you on board as soon as possible, I don't want to be ~100 from the bottom forever. Good luck to all.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

By the way, those last couple of ask and answers that I posted were both from within the last 10 to 20 days.

Thanks for the info. That is indeed different if they are just returning their atlantic schedule. Again, I remain optomistic that the economy will change all of this. Good luck all.

From today's A&A:

Q: I'm hearing rumors that an American spokesperson said AA will be to 100% pre 9/11 by the end of this year, is this true?

A: We will be 100% of our aircraft utilization by year end. We will not be at 100% of the operating schedule of pre-September 11th. We will be at about 90% of our pre-September 11th operating schedule. Ten percent of the fleet was grounded (B727/B717).

Anne Evans
Director Flight Administration

That is too bad indeed. However I think there are two variables that can effect this:

1. Section 6 negotiations with AMR

2. The business traveller has YET to return. This rebound in traffic is mostly low yield leasure travel. As the economy build back up, so will high yield business travel. I say, that when business travel picks up to pre-911, so will American.

I was just at AA last month going through the sim. The door to recruiting is locked shut...and all inside is gathering dust. I tried to persuade some contacts I had there to give me the latest and there is no "latest". Wish I had better news! I too was one of those scheduled to start in Oct. 01. Best of luck to all of us.

Hiring

For those of you who were waiting for a class date, here;s the answer to your question. This is from Ask & Answer

I know this is a long time away, but when hiring resumes, does AA have any plans to bring in the people who were hired (passed interview, medical) and awaiting a class date when the furlough occurred, or would those in that position have to reapply when pilot recruitment opens up again. Thanks in advance.

A couple of things will determine AA's policy when hiring starts. The first, as you pointed out, is the length of time before AA hires again. The second is any new regulations that might be a product of the September 11th events.

Obviously the longer period that passes before AA hires the greater the chance candidates will have to reapply. At a minimum, the medical will no longer be valid and the candidates experience gained during AA's non-hiring period will need to be reviewed. Also, we can predict with some certainty that new government hiring regulations/requirements will be in place which must be met making it hard to predict future requirements.

Kathy Gilmore
Flight Department

Latest resources

Back