A&P wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Not only am I not on "crack" but I hold the certification and have the experience doing the work...and a leg to stand on. YOU???

Had my own shop among other things for 5 years. Right up until the airport was closed to put houses on. Never met a mechanic that was worth his own weight in....well anything. You guys work an 8 hour day, but actually turn wrenches about 3.5 of that. Other time is spent smoking, talking on the phone, hitting the head, trying to figure out the fiche reader, wishing you had become a pilot, and trying to figure out what that smell is. Well it is you.

Now if you feel the need to sling it a lit more, then go right ahead.

Moderator edited for language unbecoming a poster...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am a mechanic. And a career professional pilot, with working experience in both places. You talk, but your words are hollow. Full of it, really.

Pilots who prostitute themselves lower the bar for everyone, every bit as much as those who cross picket lines. Mechanics who work for less than they're worth (which is usually a whole lot more than what they're paid) do no less.

The requirements to be a mechanic are far in excess of what's required to be a pilot. Having done both for more than a few years now, from my perspective as an ATP, mechanic, inspector, yada, yada, yada...mechanics need a broader knowledge and skill base, and there's a whole lot more involved in ongoing education and training for maintenance, than pilots.

I fly for a living. Sometimes I turn a wrench for a living. Often I do both. I've never seen a mechanic struggle with a fiche reader (most use CD ROM today). Most shops have very strict smoking policies. You must be a real idiot to let mechanics run all over you like that...paying for eight hours of labor and employing those who give you three. Perhaps you should have instituted a training program to view the fiche reader, huh?

You really had mechanics spend five hours in the bathroom? That's truly amazing. More amazing is that with your brilliant mind for business, you ran a FBO for five years in that condition. Most people would have figured out that doing something different might have made an improvement...about four years and eleven months earlier. Some people apparently take a little longer than others. People such as yourself, for example.

I haven't worked anywhere that talking on the phone during company time was policy...you must be either a really nice guy, or just plain dumb...my vote is for dumb, considering everything else you espouse in the place you ran. Truly an amazing business strategy. I stand in awe.

When I work in a shop, often it's a lot more than an eight hour day, and when I work privately, I usually don't charge by the hour but by the job. I also gaurantee what I do, and consider my work my signature.

You really hire people who work three out of eight hours and do all the things you claim and keep paying them for five years? How on earth did you ever survive.

Incidentally, my parents were married. But thanks for asking.

Blah, blah, blah. I am AVBUG and I like to hear myself talk. Makes me feel good about myself when I can put others down or in my own lame attempt, try to discredit them. I am a big man. If your services are so valued, why are you always on here posting annoymously on a forum, instead of working?

BTW, I did not say I let my guys get away with that. But now that we out source a lot of maintenance, I sure see this happen at other places. I of course over exaggerated to make my point, but I would say this is the rule, not the exception. Plus, have not met too many mechs that don't smoke.

You tried to get us off topic again. $25 an hour cash, still not a bad deal IMHO.

I don't smoke, just in case you are compiling statistics for a survey. And by the way, there is an excellent article in the Jan/Feb AMT magazine about how the charges for shop labor/hour and what the mech is paid/hour. If you have access to the mag. give it a read.

As for working on the side for $25/hr. I'd be interested since it's a bit more than I currently make, and it's all unclaimed. And as for being scared to sign off work performed...Any mech who doubts thier own work as far as not wanting to sign for it, they don't belong in the business. Just my .02

sbn340mech said:
I don't smoke, just in case you are compiling statistics for a survey. And by the way, there is an excellent article in the Jan/Feb AMT magazine about how the charges for shop labor/hour and what the mech is paid/hour. If you have access to the mag. give it a read.

As for working on the side for $25/hr. I'd be interested since it's a bit more than I currently make, and it's all unclaimed. And as for being scared to sign off work performed...Any mech who doubts thier own work as far as not wanting to sign for it, they don't belong in the business. Just my .02

Well said.

I've worked on side projects many times over the years. I'm not scared to signoff that work either, because it's done right.

25 bucks an hour cash is fair in spite of what the bug says.

I of course over exaggerated to make my point, but I would say this is the rule, not the exception.

Over exaggerated.... that means lied right? ;)

And I don't smoke either... and anyone who can't figure out how a fiche reader works shouldn't be allowed near an airplane.

Plus, have not met too many mechs that don't smoke.

Now you've met one more, though I gotta admit, I feel a little dirtier for having met you.

I of course over exaggerated to make my point, but I would say this is the rule, not the exception.

Of course you have...only the truly dense could read your posts and not clearly see you overexaggerate, and yes...that's called lying. And you're right, it's the rule for you, seeker of loopholes to exploit, rather than the exception.

You talk an awful lot like George Bush. Are you sure you ain't him?

SpyFlysDOTs said:
Good luck at finding an A&P with the experience you want for $25 an hr.

$25 per hour, where do I sign up?

At the pt 145 MRO I work at, lead QA inspectors don't make that much.

As almost everyone here knows, i used to work with car-restoration, an one thing you MUST know before even think about "restore" a car, is that to get the job done right you will probably pay 2 to 3 times the "non-expensive" price to get the quality job you`re looking for... So.. if you`re going to "restore" an airplane, no matter if it`s a Experimental or a B-52, and if you are planning on FLYING with it, don`t ask how much or don`t say how much you want to pay, search the professional who does what you want for a living (so that he knows all the crap that comes with the job) and get your plane flying again. NO MATTER IF YOU END UP PAYING 3 TIMES WHAT YOU EXPECTED. In cars we ask: "you don`t want to think about every bolt that was supposed to be tightened at 200 MPH do you?". You don`t what to have a loose bolt just before landing do you?
Making the long story short, if you plan to fly it, doesn`t your life worths more than $25,00 USD an hour?

Latest resources

Back