Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ScRaMJeT

Old Timer
Over the Years I've always played around with the idea of getting my A&P, but the courses have always seemed to long and would cost way to much money. The other day I ran across one of those fly by night aviation magazines (you know the ones with coffee and popcorn grease all over them) and low and behold I ran into this advertisement. I called them up and asked them a few question and they are legitimate. In case your interested:

A&P/ IA/FCC GROL
For Free Brochure
1-800-216-0930
Writtens Orals and Practicals
walk to lodging, Fly in airport Located in Riverside CA
A&P 10 days IA 4 Days
International 909-352-8180

www.avtech-exams.com

I think some of Us will be sitting FE for a while, and it my also make you a little more compeititive for that FE job.

This is just like a prep for the ATP. You still have to have 30 months of previous experience to qualify.

Accelerated A & P with IA

Of course, we all know PIC, the home of the 10-day instrument ticket. An A&P look great on the resume, but I must say, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting! Also, a little hard to believe. Four-day IA?

I will admit I know nothing about obtaining these certificates, but all the schools and vo-techs I've seen have an 18-month course for them.

PS-"Otter's" post beat mine by a minute. His post clarifies my questions.

These programs have been around for a long time. This isn't the same as going to an accelerated rating course where you get all your experience in a few days. For the A&P or IA prep courses, you must show up fully expeirenced, and all you're getting is some quick prep before taking the written, oral, and practical tests (essentially just the written for the IA, which has no specific oral, and no practical).

A flight certificate or rating can be hammered out quickly because it's very specific hands on training. However, the mechanic certificate is far too broad in scope for someone to arrive and learn what they need in a few days. People who are successful at these courses (most are) show up with the requisite experience and ability to pass the test. They then go through a cram course of study specifically for the test, and take all the tests in-house.

Perhaps the best known company doing this is Kings, now Bakers, in Tennessee.

If you pick up a copy of TAP, you'll find perhaps a dozen or so companies advertising for this same thing.

As for the IA, all that is required to obtain the Inspection Authorization is a written test. Traditionally the applicant visits a FSDO to obtain the authorization. There, he or she presents evidence of the necessary experience and then obtains an authorization to take the knowledge exam. Prior to issuing that authorization, the inspectior reviewing the evidence of experience will usually ask a lot of questions. This is done informally; it's not an oral exam, but the person who doesn't pass won't get the signoff to go take the test.

The prep courses simply do all this in one place, and prepare you for the questioning with specific study questions and answers. They then administer the tests in-house, and you can leave with your certificates and ratings. You must be fully qualified upon arrival, however.

These courses are handy, but not necessary. When I did my initial mechanic certificate (A&P), I went to a FSDO near where I was working, and obtained the authorization to test. I then took the tests on my own. I later arranged to take the oral and practical with a designated examiner at a community college, and passed without difficulty. There is ample study material available to prepare for any of the tests.

The big difference in attending these prep courses is the time involved, and the convenience of leaving the course with the certificate in-hand. The disadvantage is that retention is often directly related to the time and effort involved in preparation for a certificate or rating. When you go to these courses, you're getting just enough prep to specifically address the tests, but no more. The mechanic certificate is the most comprehensive certificate in aviation, far and away beyond any flight certificate. It's really not something one should approach half-heartedly.

In all honesty, I wish I'd gone to a school for the basics. Over many years on the job, I've learned quite a bit, but much of it is material that I would have already known upon leaving the school. For those considering getting the mechanic certificate, I highly recommend enrolling in a dedicated school, for what it's worth.

A & P Test Prep

Thanks, Avbug. Come to think of it, I recall some similar outfit near Wiley Post Airport in Oklahoma City, on Rockwell Boulevard beween NW 50th and NW 63rd. This was thirteen years ago; no idea if it is still around.

I second everything Avbug said, I highly recomend going to a formal school to get your A&P rating. You learn a wider variety of information. If you get the required hours of experience signed off by your local maintence shop your experience will likely be limited to the "fixes" that shop specializes in. A formal school will give you a broader experience. Even if you go to a formal school some advise I recieved from the owner and Des. Examiner at our school holds very true "you now possess a license to learn". Very sage advice. Like everything in life, you "must use it or lose it" as it is such a broad field it is easy to forget what you just touched on in class. I'm forever glad I got mine as it allows me to fix some minor and not so minor things on my plane to keep it in the air. Best of luck, Cheers.

KlingonLRDRVR

Thanks for the info!

Thanks alot Klingondrvr, bobbysamd, and Broncobuster for the info and input, I'll take the advice. I guess what glitters is not always gold.

See ya next time.

ScRaMJet

Latest resources

Back