Net loss:
UAL $510 mil vs. AMR $575 mil

Operating loss:
UAL $711 mil vs. AMR $729 mil

Cash on hand 3/31:
UAL $2.9 bil vs AMR $2.3 bil

Operating expense per asm:
UAL 11.41 vs AMR 11.30

Winter 2001 had major paper write downs on aircraft valuations (over 1 billion). It is disingenuous, at best, to predicate assumptions using immaterial data for projections.

Daily cash burns for both UAL and AMR were less than 5 million per day for the quarter, significantly less in March.

UAL March Revenues down only 9% year over year.

Too funny

Zarathustra said:
Look at the numbers. American lost more and has less cash on hand. They'd be the first to go, but: None of the top 4 will go bankrupt.

American would be the first to go, huh????

LOL.

Apparently, you don't understand anything about the airline industry. Burn rates tell only part of the story. There is far more to the picture. AA is considered by most analysts to be the airline in the best position to take advantage of the recovery period. Look at things like debt to equity. If you don't have equity in your assets you have nothing to borrow with and your credit is severely affected. Cash on hand is one, equity is another, then there's potential earnings based on route structures and business models, loan rates, primary and secondary etc revenue streams, and finally the biggy, market share. Market share is the primary indicator of how well an airline can recover in any given area. Look at what AA is doing in New York right now and you will get an idea of where they are planning to concentrate their efforts. You have no idea what you're talking about and I think everybody here knows it but you.

Clownpilot wrote:
"You have no idea what you're talking about and I think everybody here knows it but you."

Ahhh.... speak for yourself. I'm not sure you or anyone for that matter has all the answers. The New York shuttle market is being raped by the Amtrak bullet train service, so those doing the most in that market are losing the most to surface transportation and Jet Blue for the longer segments.

I wasnt talking about shuttle service. AA is not a player in that market. The New York market is being expanded primarily internationally. The money there is in providing service from the worlds largest financial market to the world's other major financially critical cities. Big planes. Not $69 shuttle service. You're stuck in the puddle jumper mentality because that's what you know. Think bigger.

Trains, I like trains too. Choo choooooooooooo.

m-dog said:
Clownpilot wrote:
"You have no idea what you're talking about and I think everybody here knows it but you."

Ahhh.... speak for yourself. I'm not sure you or anyone for that matter has all the answers. The New York shuttle market is being raped by the Amtrak bullet train service, so those doing the most in that market are losing the most to surface transportation and Jet Blue for the longer segments.

Clownpilot said:
I wasnt talking about shuttle service. AA is not a player in that market. The New York market is being expanded primarily internationally. The money there is in providing service from the worlds largest financial market to the world's other major financially critical cities. Big planes. Not $69 shuttle service. You're stuck in the puddle jumper mentality because that's what you know. Think bigger.

Trains, I like trains too. Choo choooooooooooo.

There is a comment about UAL in this article, which does not sound to good to me. But Zara must be wearing those colored shades to hide from the truth. (probably wears them inside the airports as well)

http://www.usaviation.com/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=191&z=8

Latest resources

Back