• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

4-letter airport identifier as an IFR enroute nav fix

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haven't you ever heard ATC say, "Cleared direct destination airport"? People do that all the time.
So are you saying you can navigate direct to an airport only if it is your destination?
I say wrong. You can use an airport as an intermediate fix, you can also make up a fix if you want to. Some small airports aren't in the ATC database and you hear ATC asking for lat long all the time from pilots so they can enter that airport as a fix.

What I can't believe is that the regional pilot the OP referred to even asked ATC if they could navigate to the airport instead of the NDB. The implication is that they are co-located, in that case what's the difference? Do you think ATC really cares if you are navigating to a fix that is a couple hundred feet from the one they intended? How would they or you notice the difference? You can also pull out the AFD and enter the lat long in the database if you want.

Can a 4-letter airport identifier be filed (or is it legal) as an enroute navaid on a flight between 2 airports under IFR, or better yet, can it be issued as a clearance. For example from KSDL to KCLT: SCOT6.ABQ..KOJA..VXV.SHINE5. Even with GPS/RNAV equipment onboard, I don't see how it can be. Nothing in the AIM or pilot/controller glossary, looking for written proof as a source to settle a bet.

Ill put in a test flight plan in the FDIO today at work and file an airport as a fix and see if it spits it out.

Let you know later.

MK

I'll gladly accept that bet, and you can mail me the check for $1 million tomorrow, please!

I'll try filing a four letter airport in a flight plan route tomorrow at work to see if it gets rejected.

If it doesn't get rejected, I'll send you the rubber check.

http://yfrog.com/ndunfmj

Well, here is how it worked out. I created a test flight plan at work with a flight departing O'hare going to Denver. We used ORD IOW OMA KDEN at it worked fine. As long as you don't use KOMA but OMA it works. The Omaha VOR is OVR and is 11 SE so this was a good test subject. You can file the airports as enroutes provided you file them as 3 letter and not 4 and will not confuse an airport with a VOR on site as it should be the same identifier.

4 letter was a no go! 3 letter was a go!

http://yfrog.com/ndunfmj

Well, here is how it worked out. I created a test flight plan at work with a flight departing O'hare going to Denver. We used ORD IOW OMA KDEN at it worked fine. As long as you don't use KOMA but OMA it works. The Omaha VOR is OVR and is 11 SE so this was a good test subject. You can file the airports as enroutes provided you file them as 3 letter and not 4 and will not confuse an airport with a VOR on site as it should be the same identifier.

4 letter was a no go! 3 letter was a go!

Bill, send me my check.

FDIO != Host.

It works in HOST, I can get my buddy to try and take a pic/send me a copy of one. 3/4 letter is interchangeable in HOST.

I don't even see any pads on LRJetcaptains strip!

Latest resources

Back