• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 year Career: US Legacies vs Emirates/Qatar/Ethiad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Say does any one have experience with the Koreans? I was thinking of trying the 330 transition program at Korean or going to Asiana. Hopefully their med. processes are a little more sane....

PS: Hot Pot ain't so bad, beats spitting out the little bones of the "meat" in the crew meal!

Last edited:
Life is too short to spend it in the seniority rat race if you're an experienced pilot.
Bump...
Well said. this "old" dude going overseas at first opportunity. Any updates?

Bump...
Well said. this "old" dude going overseas at first opportunity. Any updates?

I see that you have the 744 rating? I would suggest (provided you are in fair shape) that you take a look at NCA! They seem to be a happy go lucky bunch!

I see that you have the 744 rating? I would suggest (provided you are in fair shape) that you take a look at NCA! They seem to be a happy go lucky bunch!

only if he's as fit as a tri-athlete... but yeah. I also know friends who are happy at Qatar Air, as street captains on the 777, and they don't require the type, only wide body glass PIC.

A tri-athlete would actually have more troubles passing the medical than somebody that is just fit and takes regular care of themselves, I have seen many guys that are health nuts failing the medical, there is such a thing as "too fit" we have a pilot that participates in iron man competitions and he has to take a month off his exercise routine and training before his medical, in the other hand, the only preparation I do before my medicals is to set the alarm clock.

Sure Qatar is a good option for those that want to uproot their families but it is not a commuting job (or at least not practical for commuting) the reason why I suggested NCA was because of their easy commute and good quality of life while at work, all those jobs in the ME will fly you 80 to 90 hours a month, for an experienced pilot that has been flying for 30 plus years that is just too much, NCA offers an easier roster pattern and a very stable days off pattern.

Makes sense. Yeah my bmi was too high at 6' tall and 206.

Too bad cause I do like easy commute and not working my arse off.

The ME carriers are in for a rude awakening when hiring picks up here in the US. They'll have a tough time getting much more than RJ FO's if they don't fix QOL

Yeap, if your BMI is anything above 30 (at least for the pre employment medical, after you get the job is not so strict) you won't get it, over 60% of people that take the medical (according to one of the agency guys) fail it. Blood pressure is a biggie, anybody running from concourse A to X doing six legged days and eating McCholesterol on a regular basis better get into a regime of a couple of months in preparation beforehand.

About the applicants, they are seeing the effects of the US market getting better already, we have a fair bit of attrition of guys going back to the US now! And the recruiting campaign from competitors is getting pretty heated, China is exercising a lot of pressure with high salaries and they are comming to the realization that adding QOL (more days off, better commuting conditions) gets them applicants.

Makes sense. Yeah my bmi was too high at 6' tall and 206.

Too bad cause I do like easy commute and not working my arse off.

The ME carriers are in for a rude awakening when hiring picks up here in the US. They'll have a tough time getting much more than RJ FO's if they don't fix QOL

With all due respect - I don't know one American - and I mean not one at EK who is considering going and applying at the US majors.

WRT rude awakening ...you must be joking...currently 2000 qualified apps for 100 positions this year.

Why would any of us in the LHS (or the potential for it) at EK even think about going to the US. (Taxes alone!)

Perfect here? No.

But compared to going back...not a chance. Most of us making hay and having a blast, that said you need to proceed with caution as getting on the wrong side of "the man" here can be costly.

Gotta go, chauffeur waiting outside my villa...

fv

Latest resources

Back