• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 year Career: US Legacies vs Emirates/Qatar/Ethiad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You'll know if you picked right in 30 years. My father-in-law did 33 years at DL without a flippin' sneeze. He guessed right ;-)

30 years is a long time to be an expat. From what I understand most expats eventually miss home too much.

I'm on year 1.5 of ???.

I am in the same boat with Paul. I don't know how long I will stay abroad but I do know that I am looking at properties in other areas of the world that I have discovered only because of the expat lifestyle. Currently, I have no desire to go back home and am enjoying almost every minute of the experience.

I think that EK's growth has peaked and if you are looking at good growth/command potential if you were hired within 2 years, QR actually looks really good.

I've been asking myself this question quite a bit as of late. I'm still very happy out here and are not planning on going back home any time soon; however, 25 years from now I'm not sure how pleased I'll be with having to sit reserve, or not being able to get vacation time over Christmas, due to the fact i got it last year.

Same boat here. Not sure what will happen. Initially it all started with just a year or two, wait out the recession and go home.
4 years down the road, have flown a wide-body all over the globe and just got my command.
It's going to be a tough decision to make when all the legacies go into a hiring spree. Stay or go and start all over again.

I would do it if I had an age to play :-(

You're still young enough to do it buddy. 25 years at a major. Probably 10-12 to make captain. Still gives you 13-15 years as a captain and all the while living in the USA. Certainly not without some risk as well. Nothing is guaranteed with U.S. carriers.

Tough decision to leave your new home though. I think you've got a good deal. Will come down to what you and your family really want.

TP

Latest resources

Back