3 pilot schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RiddleEagle18

Contemplating taking a job on a super midszie(who makes up these names?) 91/135 aircraft. They have been operating it with 2 guys but are extremely busy and want a third guy.

Im a regional airline guy and have no experience with corporate/charter QOL issues. What kind of schedule have you seen used with a 3 man crew before?

I worked in a 2 plane 5 pilot Fortune 500 corporate part 91 operation. We had no days off except the days you did not fly. But we only flew 10-20 days per month. You normally knew 2-3 days in advance if you were going to fly when the CP assigned crews to the airplanes, but he might change his mind the night before so you were on a short call all the time. However on the flip side if you needed some time off for a doc's appointment of your reserve drilling, he was good about working around your schedule. It was a good job and I would have stayed there, if the 1982 recession had not cut the flight dept in half and caused me to become unemployed.

I've seen Part 91 3-man ops rotate, say 2 weeks on, 1 off, for all pilots, where all 3 were co-captains. 1st week on was right-seat, then you slid over to captain for 2nd week. Worked very well, but, I don't see how that would help much with any busy 135 scheduling, say, when the crew gets home too late to show required rest before an early morning 135 flight, you'd still be one pilot short.

Last edited:
Been a part of a 3 man rotation pt 91. Many of your questions should be answered by meeting the Chief Pilot/Dir of Aviation. Some will treat you as equals, some will not. I imagine your lifestyle will depend greatly on the amount of 135 lift being supplemented. Good luck.

Sounds like what we are about to do...

I did a 2 week on, 1 off schedule. Worked out great. We'd also work with each other if we needed extra time off. Ie. 3 on, 2 off.

what the heck is a co-captain?? a half-a$$ F/O who gets to make decisions? man i get a kick out of some of the terms you corp guys come up with!

:beer:

Latest resources

Back