29 yrs. old starting CFI... Too old?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHXAviator

I'm curious if this is going to put me at a disadvantage.

Now, assuming I instruct and then go to a commuter, will I still be at an age that many major airlines prefer?

I've heard the stories about other people that were hired past their 40's. These stories always start off "I know a guy who..."
But, I know this is the exception and not the rule.

I guess my question is this: If I instruct for a year or two, and then get picked up by a regional, how much time is usually spent at the regional before building up reasonable experience/time can I expect before hoping to make it with the majors?

Thanks! By the way, I'm looking very forward to becoming a flight instructor. My current profession is teacher, so I'm very excited about teaching others the art of flight.

PHXAviator

I guess my question is this: If I instruct for a year or two, and then get picked up by a regional, how much time is usually spent at the regional before building up reasonable experience/time can I expect before hoping to make it with the majors?
It really depends on the regional. The key here is upgrade time. The majors want to see turbine PIC, so when you get enough of that they'll pick you up (if they are hiring).

Upgrade times vary at different places. I can't remember any numbers, but I'm sure someone else can put some numbers up. I would venture to say that the average is anywhere between 3-5 years. Some places it's less, others it's much more.

29 y/o isn't too bad actually. Even if you spent 5 years at a regional, you'd still be in a good position for the majors.

First, "no", you're certainly not too old by any means.

Second, nobody can give you a time line on how long it'll take to get to a Regional or Major airline level. There are too many variables such as the health of the economy and the needs of the airlines (usually tied into the economy) that play a hugh part of the equation. Anyone giving you a time line is merely speculating. How do you think the stock market will do in a year or two? Who really knows? Nobody saw 9/11 coming and we don't know what will effect the economy down the road. Maybe something good, maybe something bad.

However, it's not unusual to spend 4-5 yrs at the regional level before obtaining the experience and total time needed to interview at a major airline if that's your goal. Competitive figures for being hired at a major are on the order of 5000-6000tt with a couple thousand hrs PIC in turbine equipment. Don't go by what the airlines advertise as "minimum experience required". Very few people are interviewed. let alone hired, with minimum experience.

Currently, due to 9/11 and the lack luster economy, there are many very qualified pilots pounding the pavement looking for work. If history proves right, this will soon pass and hiring will once again pick up. Don't expect the hiring levels of the last few years any time soon though.

Age and majors hiring

No, you're not too old. Let's say you get your CFI this summer and it takes you even a couple of years to build enough time to qualify for the commuters. You'll be 31. You stay five or six years and build the quals the others mentioned. You'll be 37. Assuming no detours, you'll still be under 40 and have a good chance of being hired.

Even over 40 with good quals you still have chance, as long as you have years of experience. The key for you is to get in with a commuter and build 121 time and turbine time.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
Take-off

Get Flying,

My class at AA had the youngest in their twenties and the oldest in the mid forties. A wide range of backgrounds. Go for it, and network. Do things that stand out. Check ariman work, teach ground school. Boost your resume to be noticed. A lot of people have 1000 pic turbine and are not getting called (should say were not called prior 9-11). You may get hired with less than minimum or the minimum, or not get called with thousands of hours over the minimum. Be creative, Fly sharp, be ready to interview at anytime(don't let a chance pass you by). Most of all have fun. I got into this flying in my teens, loved it!! Did not enjoy the ride up gaining experience, because I was always trying to get to the next level. I wish I had enjoyed some of it a little more.
Go For It, and Good Luck!!

AAflyer:)

All the newhires at the majors that are retired military are at least 43-44 and they have plenty of time for excellent careers.

I started my instrument training at 39. I 'm now 43 and I've been at Comair for about a year and a half. I've decided that if I can make it to a major by my 50th birthday I'm gonna go for it. If not I hope to retire as a Captain on a Comair 757 :).

I was 35 when a Delta captain told me to follow my dream. It took me ten years before I took his advice.

4 years later, and I'm flying a Learjet.

Go for it.

<<<<<<<<-------Pretending to be anonymous poster, but knows she leaves a trail....

I think that we should put an add at the top of every FLIGHTINFO page that says....

YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD TO FLY UNLESS YOU'RE DEAD!

Then maybe this thread would not pop up once a week, lol.

Ali
who is in an obnoxious mood tonight

Latest resources

Back