2 weeks notice, why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tjsatter

I'm quitting soon (but not soon enough) to go to EJA. I have no legal obligation to give any notice whatsoever to my current employer. At a prior job I did once upon a time but not now. Where does this "two weeks notice" thing come from? Is it in any sense real or what? Why? Do I have a moral or ethical obligation in any sense to give any notice?

I've never seen any evidence whatsoever of any reciprocal sense of obligation on the part of companies when they decide that they no longer require a persons services, zero notice is the norm with any warning coming through via rumour mode. I feel zero obligation on my part in this area, it's just business. They've been good to me and no hard feelings, it's just time to go.

I have seen also companies fire people on the giving of notice or otherwise make their last days as unpleasant as possible. I'm not trying to hurt anybody or burn bridges, I don't care for long goodbyes, I just need to go.

20+ years in business has made me very hard on this subject, opinions?

tj

Have you seen other pilots fired on the day they gave notice at your current company? I would weigh my decision on giving notice with that bit of info. If others have given notice there and were not immediately released, I would give at least two weeks notice myself.

The golden rule (the REAL one) usually works pretty well. If you would like zero notice before being released, don't give notice. If you would like at least two weeks notice before being released, I would afford that courtesy to your employer.

class

You treat others as you would want to be treated.

If they have been a good employer and you know that it would be hard to replace you, I would try and give them the courtesy of notice.

There are a good many companies who have a policy that when someone says they are leaving, they do not have them stay. That really comes from the fact that it was believed that after someone has made up there mind to leave, how productive would they be. In the cases where someone performs a function such as a pilot, I usually kept them on and appreciated the notice unless they wanted to miss trips.

Class and courtesy usually beget the same. If not, I still want to look at myself that way.

A friend here was furloughed recent at the tail end of a 24 hour on duty in uniform day. Chief pilot called him at home 2230 at night to tell him he didn't have a job anymore.

The company recently lost a major contract that had us flying about 110-130 hrs/month on a schedule. About as good as it gets for 135 I guess, and considering that we get paid by the mile even better. We all knew via rumour that it was ending a month before they officially would admit it. Layoffs were also part of the same unacknowledged rumour. Up until the last minute they would deny this.

I'll give them more notice than they warrant. Fact is I've already told them indirectly via the rumour mill that I'm out of there. That's how they inform us. The "official" notice will be old news by the time I finally give it 2 weeks short of coming off the payroll.

tj

giving notice

There have been some good comments made about having class, style, tact and the golden rule. Another point to consider is one's future. Not burnin bridges was mentioned, giving notice regardless of your employers response is ensuring that you are not the one lighting the match.
In CA it is state law that am employer pay outstanding wages due to the departing employee on their last day. Not giving notice creates much undue stress for all involved simply in ensuring the law is complied with. Most employers will say outright and upfront that they would be quite reluctant to hire a person who failed to give notice as such failure demonstrates an unreliable character.

2day notice

I go with the 2day notice. You walk in and say I quit TODAY!!

Here's the best way to do it. You give them 2 week notice and state in the most sincere way that you're quitting for personal reasons, i.e. marital problems etc. Anything to make them think it's not them. It also helps if you don't tell them where you're going. KISS, no extra info. "I am resigning for personal reasons on Feb XX. I love working here and wish I could stay. Thank you for everything." Something like that. They will definitely ask you where you're going. Just say, "It's not important. It's for personal reasons." Don't tell other pilots in the company etc.

Good Luck.

LIL story

Gonna tell you a little story that is not urban legend.

I know the guy who did this.

This guy got a job from a MAJOR airline and decided to quit and tell off his boss to boot. The chief just happened to know the chief at AA and made a phone call to him about his new employee.

Wiz bang. Offer rescinded. No new job. No old job.

Take the high road. Give notice. If they fire you, who cares. Put in for 2 weeks of unemployment.

BTW I know the guy, and the chief at AA (now retired). Don't know his old boss.
Needless to say he wishes now he did things differently. How would he know these two guys knew each other, right?

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** funny unless it happens to you.

They already know

The prof. way is 2 weeks which all of us already know. However, if your leaving for a 135 (eja ect. )or 121 (regional/major ect.) then they will already know in most cases due to the 1996 PIRA. When I gave 2 weeks the boss already knew b/c ALG started the records search as soon as i accepted the job. Had a little more than a month from offer to class so he already got the paper work in the mail. This is a strong case for having all your paper work including 135/121 check ride forms at your interview. Give a copy to the new company before they do the search. I know it's not official but if the old boss tries something funny to screw you on the PRIA forms at least they'll have something.

Hope this helps
Happy Flying

At my airline, you are not elegible for rehire if you give less than two weeks notice. I believe the PRIA forms have a question whether the employee was elegible for rehire. You might have some explaining to do if the answer is no.

BL

ps: Aviation is a small world. Don't make too many enemies.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back