2 Typed rated pilot REQUIRED overseas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leardvr

The US does not require two type rated pilots when flying in US regestared aircraft in US airspace.

With that said ICAO countries do!!!! They always have but never inforced it.

I got at work the other day(Flight Safety) a memo that ICAO is no longer going to reconize the US bending of this rule. There have already been several US operators that have had there AC grounded (overseas) because the FO didn't have a type.

The inforcment of this rule is new and will catch alot of operators off guard.

FYI Brazil was the only ICAO country that has always inforced this rule.
(trust me:0)

Presently FAR 61.55a (1) and (2) only Require that a pilot who is acting as second in command of a non commercial operation only have a private pilot license and comply with the currency requirements of FAR 61.55

However, ICAO Annex 1 para. 2.1.3.2 requires that each state establish type ratings for each aircraft certificated for operation with a minimum of two pilots. ICAO having set this requirement for a type rating then states in para. 2.1.4.1a that a contracting state (the US is one) shall not permit the holder of a license to act as PIC OR SIC of an aircraft requiring a type reatin unless they possess that type rating.

As you can see there is a difference between FAR 61.55 and ICAO. Until now the US has published differences to ICAO Annex 1 and there has been no problem. However, the requirement for the SIC to have a type rating is an ICAO standared and other nations do not have to accept these differences fot flight operations conducted in their airspace. Earlier this year, a number of foreign governments have informed the US that they do not accept these differences. In the past number months a number of US registered aircraft have been prevented from operating because of the SIC not possissing a type rating.
The bottom line is this; right now FAR 61.55 allows a SIC to operate without a type rating in US airspace only. In international airspace ICAO takes precedence.

I hope that answers any question. The ICAO web site isn't very user friendly and they don't have the Annex. on there either.

For more proof go is AC FORM 8060-2 (this is the part that comes with your certificate that everyone just throws away), note the date (8-97) so this is not a new reg.

Last edited:
The SIC is not a required crewmember on our bird but I have a related question. Where is the best place to get a copy or look at the ICAO regs relating to us.

Thanks

We’ve heard this too…

But our company still operates to Africa through England with only one typed pilot. It appear to me, that in light of the hit the European’s took after Sept 11; they would continue to ease up on this.

As a whole they lost far more flying jobs than we did. Many of my European friends I have kept in touch with from my flight school days are out of work. Both corporate as well as Airlines took a hit, where as our airlines took a hit, but are now stabilizing and as for corporate. Our daily sectors jumped 30% since mid October 01! We are turning down an average of 5 flights a day for good solid charters because we just don’t have the jets nor the people power to cover them.

It would seem the logical thing for the Euros to help nourish the aviation network, FBO’s etc… and not get all holier-than-thou as long as the operators are safe.

Heck, as long as we cough up those outrageous landing fees you would think they would be begging for company jets!

TP…
:eek:

Latest resources

Back