2 jump pilot jobs available

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
be on the lookout....

as a jumper i can tell you i've seen d*mn near everything. folks grabbing other folks reserve handle on formation exit's. people almost hitting the tail (not on cessna's), pilot chute's going over the tail, etc.... it ain't pretty sometimes. get a group of people intent on getting out of an airplane mixed with adrenaline and stuff them in a really small space and sometimes things happen.
also, bring an extra key for the plane and keep it in your pocket. you'll know why when it happens.... have fun! -sr.

Ah yes, the joy of flying jumpers.

Here are a few random thoughts:

Always have a hook knife within reach.

If you fly a 182, check the fuel selector valve after they get in, before takeoff, during climb, on jump run, and after they leave. It does have a tendency to get bumped.

Beware of sucker holes.

If your tandem customer is 200+, consider taking only three. Droppping the fourth jumper off the load won't hurt profits that bad.

Ask whoever is in the jumpmaster position to lean forward for take off. Also, put a little nose down trim in for take off.

You are PIC...exercise your responsiblity as such. They may think its sucks the first time you no-go a load, but they will get used to it.

Have fun. It's a blast!

I do not have anybody lean forward during takeoff. I see no benefit to "moving the CG forward". Think about what will happen if you have to do a high speed abort or if you bag the engine immediately after takeoff. That person who is leaning forward and not belted in (which by itself is a problem) may have a good chance at joining the afterlife if you have a sudden stop (ie crash). Load the light guys in back, heavy guys in front. Just to appease your own curiosity, run the W+B for both situations. For more tips and tricks on flying jumpers in 182s, go to www.diverdriver.com. The moderator of the site has some good info (as well as being a current jump pilot and RJ capt. at Air Willy).

O.K. it moved the CG forward .8 inches. Maybe not significant enough.

However, depending on the loading situation with a tandem you can't always load the light in the back and the heavy up front. The heaviest guy in the ship (tandem master) can't ride in the front because he won't fit with his rig.

"Jumpers are trusting their life to you and feel more comfortable with higher time pilots for obvious reasons."

Heh, that must be why they are ALL wearing PARACHUTES! ;)

Latest resources

Back