135 jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

celloman

Ok just a quick question, I just had a 135 checkout and was wondering if any of the regionals were alowing 135 pilots to jump seat?

Thanks!!!

I currently fly 135 and we have jumpseat privledges on AirTran and Midex. Only with a signed reciprocal agreement can you jumpseat. I have no idea how we scammed this, but I think one of my company's part owners is an attorney for these two airlines.

The only scheduled operations we fly are cargo contracts. The rest of our operations are military training missions and charter. All I know is that our jumpseating to outbases, if possible, saves the company between $200-250,000 a year in tickets.

Anyway, try to by an interline ticket or then ask to jumseat. It never hurts to ask. Be courteous and respectful!

Tailwinds...

FYI

The jumpseat is to be used for PERSONAL travel not business/work-related travel. If your employer requires you to jumpseat to a base, then that employer is not following the terms of the jumpseat agreement. Basically, the employer should purchase a ticket.

Not too long ago a company violated the terms of the agreement (by requiring its employees to jumpseat to "outstations"). The pilots were not permitted to jumpseat, even for personal use.

Finally, if you are off-line, you must ride in the back, the FAA hasn't modified the recent policy change.

On a personal note, be careful what you post and the specific companies. There are many AirTran and MidEx pilots on this board who may read this post (and perhaps forward the information to the respective jumpseat coordinator).

"All I know is that our jumpseating to outbases, if possible, saves the company between $200-250,000 a year in tickets.

Anyway, try to by an interline ticket or then ask to jumseat. It never hurts to ask. Be courteous and respectful!"

RRgghhh.....

:mad:

The use you refer to is a blatant misuse of jumseat privelages. Our JS does not exist tosave your company money. If discovered, it will result in the loss of all JS rights for your pilots. I know at ASA, we were having problems with companies taking advantage of our JS policy. Those companies were removed from our JS list. Very, very bad manners. Believe me, an alert JS comittee will be able to tell when this is going on.

Also, to answer the original question, I don't believe that most companies are able to accept 135 JS riders in the cabin or anywhere else. There may be a few exceptions, but you have our good pal Osama to thank for the loss of that benefit.

I jumpseated on Vanguard and ASA with my 135 I.D. I just asked the gate agent for a jumpseat and she informed me if they had a seat in the back then it was no problem. All 5 times the Captain came out and met me and asked to see my commercial license and medical. I haven't been refused yet.

I've jumpseated numberous times on Delta, Americawest, Northwest....all prior 9-11.
Always personal travel. I was even asked by a flight crew where/what/why I was traveling (making sure I wasn't saving my employer $$ by riding free).
Our 135 company had no arrangments with any airline, but we flew 100 percent in support EJA. Even though EJA can't schedule their jumpseat for airline pilots, EJA does purchase just about every one of their pilots a one way airline ticket ($$), with less than 24hr notice purchase ($$$$$$), every week of the year ($$$$$$$$$$$). Just something to consider.

Sabreliner and FurloughedGal,

In response to your concerns:

We travel as crews and I always suggest to purchase interline tickets first, out of courtesy. I know our procedure for positioning crews is unethical but, we pilots have little recourse in fighting company politics. We are punished if we spend company money on tickets. I wish it were different and would not mind if we lost that privledge. I'd rather have a guaranteed seat and save open seats for those more deserving.

Anyway, if all goes well, I'll be outta there by Febuary's end. I've caused as much trouble as I can while pleading for positive changes at my current company (like our jumpseating policy). We just took a hit on our per diem which means we'll earn $1200-$1500 less this year. All suggestions have fallen on def ears.

Tailwinds...

Watch out who you tell things to!

Hey G159-

Positioning crews through jumpseats is not only uncouth, it is also illegal.

Hey all,

Besides buying interline tickets (as we do when the gate agents let us), how else can we get around? When we purchase full fare tickets, as we've done more since 9/11 (it's nice to have a reserved seat), the company always queries us why we bought tickets. If for some reason our explanation isn't good enough, we're scheduled to fly less. That's our problem, we've got nooses around our necks. I wouldn't mid if we got caught, what we is is unethical.

Tailwinds
:confused:

Latest resources

Back