• Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...eeb00413a98&node=14:3.0.1.1.7.16.2.2&rgn=div8

Does anyone else out there think the 5 hour requirement for observing flight operations every year is a bit excessive? After initial training at an airline, I would say a five hour (with reductions for subsequent landings) should be required, but should we have to do the same thing after recurrent training if we've been at the same airline for a long time?

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

Last edited:
I have no problem doing the 5 hours with reductions. You get to know pilots you share joint operational control with.You also re-familiarize yourself with the cockpit layout and get a visual lesson on what the pilots are doing when the radio in an issue. It is also a great way to trade rumours and other company related topics of intrique.

I would suggest you folks would profit from more JS time rather than less.

Always good to get a insight into what is going on. Also reminds some dispatchers that we are not just dispatching planes but flying people.

I think the Dispatcher Training departments should be in charge of this, and there should be some training purpose involved and not just getting in the 5 hours because the reg says you have to. For example, when I was at Continental MIcronesia, my first cockpit observation was the island hopper from HNL-JON-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM which was our most challenging flight from an operational standpoint. Short runways, 30 minute turns and so on. Definitely an education to be had if you paid attention.

I wish I had a dime for every time I spelled disaptcher, lol.

Last edited:
I do not think it is excessive. Quite frankly, during initial, a couple of days on the road would be beneficial. Recurrent could be five hours, reducible.

It would be good to get a perspective to ride in the JS of a flight that will be dealing with thunderstorms. One of those "the forecast look ok, you should beat that line of weather there" flights.

Having done both in a 121 environment ... pilots should definitely spend some time OCC, SOC, Dispatch ... whatever you want to call it. Dispatchers should spend a couple of days on the road to get a real understanding of the delays, weather, hotels, limitations to meals, crew rest, etc.

It would help both groups immensely to better understand how the puzzle fits together but will never happen ... just remember, mutual respect ... both have a job to do.

Latest resources

Back