Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    none
    Civ/Mil:
    none
    Ratings:
    none

A&P wanted

I am looking for a licensed A&P to help me restore a 1963 Cessna 172 (N2425Y). Work on it in my place in Oxford, Ohio, or yours. I can move it on my trailer to northern KY, eastern IN, or OH. Mostly sheet metal, priming, painting, rigging/ assembly, weight/balance; some avionics. Complete airplane. $25/hr.

Flown:
    ERJ 175, CRJ 2/7/9, EMB 120 and 100 other types
    Civ/Mil:
    Civil
    Ratings:
    ATP ME CFI-A-I-ME A&P
    I have a buddy A&P/IA that does restoration work, sheet metal, engines, avionics at a small airport in Pennsyltucky. Here is what he wrote:

LMAO, geeeeee, another guy who tells a guy in business what he will get paid
    I would not restore an airplane for a customer for under 85 an hour

Good luck at finding an A&P with the experience you want for $25 an hr.
    Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems you cant find someone to detail your car for that rate!
    The 63' is a good bird, learned to fly in one years ago.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    none
    Civ/Mil:
    none
    Ratings:
    none
    I can understand. I want a moon lighter with no overhead. 10 hours on a Saturday is $1000/month spending money (cash).

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    all
    Civ/Mil:
    n/a
    Ratings:
    all
    Ah, that proverbial carrot.

How much is your life worth? How much is the rest of the mechanic's life, when he undertakes liability for that aircraft by working on it? Works half-rate for a little extra spending money...a little like finding the flight instructor who will work for food because you think he needs the hours.

You'll probably find someone to work for that rate, just like anybody can dredge up a pilot from the drain to fly for peanuts...but you often get what you pay for.

Fewer mechanics will prostitute themselves for work than pilots, but there's always someone. Dangle, dangle, dangle, You'll find someone out there.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    none
    Civ/Mil:
    none
    Ratings:
    none
    Let me get this straight. You employ an A&P with an IA. His work is unsupervised. You pay him $50,000/year ($25.00/hr.). You trust him to work for you, but not to work for himself on the weekends.

Another scenario. If you're self-employed, you probably started out working for someone else. Then you did a little work on the side and you made some friends and customers. After a while, maybe a long while, you had more work. Then you had to make the big decision: quit and go it alone or stay put. You quit. And now you are self-employed.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    all
    Civ/Mil:
    n/a
    Ratings:
    all
    If I employ a mechanic, he is most definitely NOT unsupervised.

A mechanic with an inspection authorization is worth a whole lot more than twenty five bucks an hour.

Flown:
    Javelin, Hornet 190, lots of SE, some twin engine and one tri motor
    Civ/Mil:
    civ
    Ratings:
    PP

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by avbug
    Ah, that proverbial carrot.

How much is your life worth? How much is the rest of the mechanic's life, when he undertakes liability for that aircraft by working on it? Works half-rate for a little extra spending money...a little like finding the flight instructor who will work for food because you think he needs the hours.

You'll probably find someone to work for that rate, just like anybody can dredge up a pilot from the drain to fly for peanuts...but you often get what you pay for.

Fewer mechanics will prostitute themselves for work than pilots, but there's always someone. Dangle, dangle, dangle, You'll find someone out there.
    What is your/the mechanics life worth? What a crock! If the A&P is worth his salt there is nothing wrong with moonlighting on a project airplane, get real!!!

If an A&P/owner of the aircraft is worried about the quality of the work, the guy shouldn't be a mechanic in the first place......dork!
    friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.....

mmmm.... doooonuuuut. TrafficInSight's Avatar
    Flown:
    A wide range of piston singles from not very fast to freakin slow
    Civ/Mil:
    civilian
    Ratings:
    commercial, instrument, A&P
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivinguy
    What is your/the mechanics life worth? What a crock! If the A&P is worth his salt there is nothing wrong with moonlighting on a project airplane, get real!!!

If an A&P/owner of the aircraft is worried about the quality of the work, the guy shouldn't be a mechanic in the first place......dork!
    I think he's not saying that the mechanic's work is shoddy. He's saying that when the airplane crashes that the aforementioned moonlighting mechanic gets sued for shoddy work whether or not the work was shoddy... and you will never win against a crying widow.

Now please understand that I am in no way saying the pilot of the airplane is substandard, I wouldn't know that. In this business sh!t does happen.

What he's saying is that any mechanic that moonlights should have his own insurance to cover his activities.. and if he does you're going to have to pay him more than 25$ an hour.
    [N81713]Round black "thingy" broken.
    [N2147G]Compass off 30 degrees. (move timer -mx)
    [N46473]Aircraft needs right rudder on takeoff.

Flown:
    Cessnas & Pipers
    Civ/Mil:
    civilian
    Ratings:
    CFI, MEI, A&P
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyFlysDOTs
    Good luck at finding an A&P with the experience you want for $25 an hr.
    $25 per hour, where do I sign up?

At the pt 145 MRO I work at, lead QA inspectors don't make that much.

Presidentin' is hard Lear Wanna Be's Avatar
    Flown:
    .4 LJ 35
    Civ/Mil:
    Civy
    Ratings:
    left seater
    Blah, blah, blah. I am AVBUG and I like to hear myself talk. Makes me feel good about myself when I can put others down or in my own lame attempt, try to discredit them. I am a big man. If your services are so valued, why are you always on here posting annoymously on a forum, instead of working?

BTW, I did not say I let my guys get away with that. But now that we out source a lot of maintenance, I sure see this happen at other places. I of course over exaggerated to make my point, but I would say this is the rule, not the exception. Plus, have not met too many mechs that don't smoke.

You tried to get us off topic again. $25 an hour cash, still not a bad deal IMHO.
    I'm with the FAA and I am here to "help you"