Registered Aviator Movin' on up!'s Avatar
    Flown:
    C152,172,182,206,PA28,32,44,PC12, E90
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    Comm/Inst Multi,CFI/II

Virgin America first year FO pay

Anyone who can tell me what a first year FO at Virgin America can expect pay-wise? I know what the posted pay rates are and all that, but I'm looking for real life numbers. Please-- no gripes, complaints, comparisons to other airlines etc. Thanks in advance!
    undefinedHe who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    Drug Runner
    Civ/Mil:
    Cartel
    Ratings:
    DC3
    Quote Originally Posted by Movin' on up! View Post
    Anyone who can tell me what a first year FO at Virgin America can expect pay-wise? I know what the posted pay rates are and all that, but I'm looking for real life numbers. Please-- no gripes, complaints, comparisons to other airlines etc. Thanks in advance!
    Newhire training pay is $2500 month and hotel in SFO is not included. This is because as a newhire on paper you are considered SFO based and training/HQs are in SFO. Once on reserve it's $52/hr on a 75 hr guarantee. That comes out to $3900/month not including per diem. You can't pick up open time on reserve and I doubt you'll break guarantee. 52x75x12 = 46,800 base salary for the year plus per diem and maybe some bonus extras like QIP. You can probably count on at least 50k and perhaps a little more.

There are rumors about an upcoming pay raise announcement this month but so far nothing official.

Flown:
    E145,E190,A320
    Civ/Mil:
    Civ
    Ratings:
    CFI CFII MEI
    Out of that $50,000 Subtract about 35% for taxes, health care, retirement, etc. This leaves you with about $32,500. Divided by 12 is about $2,700/month. That is a somewhat realistic number give our take say $200-$300/mo depending on your city and state taxes, healthcare needs, retirement planning etc.
    My German Shepherd is well behaved. Is your kid?

Flown:
    props, jets
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    Commercial
    Do most pilots commute there? You need to make about 150,000 in SFO or LAX to have a decent life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifler's Mom View Post
    I like the American Pie men.

Took the Red Pill Ralph Cramden's Avatar
    Flown:
    Lots
    Civ/Mil:
    one
    Ratings:
    the usual
    Yup, about 80% commuters here. Lots of crash pads in LAX & SFO.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    Jets n Props
    Civ/Mil:
    military non aviation
    Ratings:
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer1015 View Post
    Newhire training pay is $2500 month and hotel in SFO is not included. This is because as a newhire on paper you are considered SFO based and training/HQs are in SFO. Once on reserve it's $52/hr on a 75 hr guarantee. That comes out to $3900/month not including per diem. You can't pick up open time on reserve and I doubt you'll break guarantee. 52x75x12 = 46,800 base salary for the year plus per diem and maybe some bonus extras like QIP. You can probably count on at least 50k and perhaps a little more.

There are rumors about an upcoming pay raise announcement this month but so far nothing official.
    New payscales came out yesterday.

First year FO pay remains the same. 2nd year FO now $85 and 3rd year now $98. Improvements to 401k as well with a company contribution of 4.5% on top of a match of 1.25% up to 6% of earnings. Equates to 12% company contribution. So you put in 6% and the company puts in 12%=18% total.

Average payrate increase was 15%. 6yr Captain pay is now $175. Payraises effective April 01, 2015.

Flown:
    KC-135E/R, T-38, RC-135U/V/W, C-135B, 727 FE, A319/320, B757/767, Guppy
    Civ/Mil:
    Both
    Ratings:
    ATP B-707/720, B757/767, 727 FE, Guppy
    Congratulations on the pay raises; well deserved for everyone who hung in there. I didn't think you guys were going to survive with the high debtload, but the restructurings and IPO helped quite a bit.

You guys should have some really decent Q4 numbers ... your load factors were up almost 3% year over year for Q4.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    small + big
    Civ/Mil:
    yes
    Ratings:
    yes many

PLEASE VIRGIN AMERICA PILOTS.....

Don't loose sight of the big picture for your future.....
    Don't make the same mistake as other comparable carriers did.....

You are on "take 2", don't make them "win" and have to wait for "take 3"
    Good luck and we will welcome you in to the "fraternity"...

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    A-320s, B-737s, Tacair
    Civ/Mil:
    Civ/Navy
    Ratings:
    ATP
    We were over 90% support for ALPA cards. The new rates are good, but they hacked our profit sharing so it's really that money paid in a different way plus a slight bump. Most guys immediately recognized this so support with the latest informal poll is still in the mid-80 percent. Plenty of margin IMHO.

What the raise did do is make VA more attractive to new hires, particularly if you want to be west coast based.
    Crap in your helmet bag one time - name sticks forever!

Flown:
    B737, B727, B717, DA20, CL-65, DC-9, LR-JET
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    See Above
    Completely unrelated question.

Can someone tell me where you get your black uniform jackets? Our newest "lightweight" black jacket at Southwest is a flipping disaster. Wondering if I picked up a Virgin jacket instead if our flight ops people would even know the difference (I doubt it).

PM me if you'd rather. Thanks!