Thread: Arizona Soaring

Flown:
    A320, LR60, LearJet, L1329 (JetStar), CE500, S76A+, A109MkII, Bell 47
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    A-320, L-1329, CE-500, LR-60, LR-JET

Thumbs up Arizona Soaring

Arizona Soaring at Estella Gliderport - just wanted to give them a shoutout for treating my teenagers so well last week and giving them an experience of a lifetime. My son is about to start flight training at his highschool and getting up for some real stick and rudder instruction will do him good before he gets fixated on all the glass and buttons.

I intend to go back when I can spent a week or two getting a Commercial add-on. I've waited way too long to get to this item on my bucket list.

(They also gave us a small airline discount...so there's that, too.)

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    none
    Civ/Mil:
    none
    Ratings:
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAAB View Post
    Arizona Soaring at Estella Gliderport - just wanted to give them a shoutout for treating my teenagers so well last week and giving them an experience of a lifetime. My son is about to start flight training at his highschool and getting up for some real stick and rudder instruction will do him good before he gets fixated on all the glass and buttons.

I intend to go back when I can spent a week or two getting a Commercial add-on. I've waited way too long to get to this item on my bucket list.

(They also gave us a small airline discount...so there's that, too.)
    Ummm....glass and buttons? Screw that. Send to someplace that will teach him stick and rudder. Make him a real pilot instead of a pilot pointer. I assume he's under 18. He can do the video game transition later. TEACH HIM TO FLY FIRST! Get him into a J-3 Cub for his private license. They are still out there. After Private to Commercial he can play with the buttons, go back to the Cub to build time for the Commercial, and come out on the other side a FAR better pilot if he wants to make a career of it.

Too many young lads show up at commuters (and pass training) but on line are ****ing worthless. Can't even make a crosswind landing in the easiest of conditions.

Even worse, they have no idea of North, South, East or West. "Duh, I follow the GPS". Get them into Orienteering to get them to understanding of BASIC navigation, map and compass and it's anomalies . "Dad, why did runway 36 get changed to runway 1 (DCA) ?

For God's sake it sounds like you really care about your kids and have the means to spend on their education. You sent them to experience the basic concept of flight. Do it right from there!

Considering the fact that you can blow cash on gliders, they have access to cell phones and computers, and the glass and buttons are nothing for them. They have the computer knowledge. Spend less cash and teach them to understand the basics behind the tech. And the basics behind how to fly.
    Last edited by booo; 12-25-2014 at 23:55.

Registered Aviator weekendwarrior's Avatar
    Flown:
    BE-300, BE-350, GV, RV's, Gliders, Helos, etc
    Civ/Mil:
    Both
    Ratings:
    ATP/CFII/Comm/Inst/SEL/MEL/Rotor/Glider
    Quote Originally Posted by booo View Post
    Ummm....glass and buttons? Screw that. Send to someplace that will teach him stick and rudder. Make him a real pilot instead of a pilot pointer. I assume he's under 18. He can do the video game transition later. TEACH HIM TO FLY FIRST! Get him into a J-3 Cub for his private license. They are still out there. After Private to Commercial he can play with the buttons, go back to the Cub to build time for the Commercial, and come out on the other side a FAR better pilot if he wants to make a career of it.

Too many young lads show up at commuters (and pass training) but on line are ****ing worthless. Can't even make a crosswind landing in the easiest of conditions.

Even worse, they have no idea of North, South, East or West. "Duh, I follow the GPS". Get them into Orienteering to get them to understanding of BASIC navigation, map and compass and it's anomalies . "Dad, why did runway 36 get changed to runway 1 (DCA) ?

For God's sake it sounds like you really care about your kids and have the means to spend on their education. You sent them to experience the basic concept of flight. Do it right from there!

Considering the fact that you can blow cash on gliders, they have access to cell phones and computers, and the glass and buttons are nothing for them. They have the computer knowledge. Spend less cash and teach them to understand the basics behind the tech. And the basics behind how to fly.
    Sorry to respond to such an old thread but I have to jump in here. If you read the OP's post, he said he wanted him to get some stick and rudder BEFORE the glass and buttons. I'm a glider pilot, CFI, and I fly BE-300's for a living, and let me tell you...there is NO better way to teach stick and rudder skills than flying gliders. I can't tell you how many real "Pilots" who were bus drivers on the line who I took into flying gliders and they realized the stick and rudder required to fly gliders.

Navigation points you make are definintely valid. For us cross country glider pilots we are involved in navigation but more to the tune of wind directions, etc and more deciding best ways to go based on wx, winds, altitudes, etc.

But I can't agree more with the OP, teaching someone to fly gliders first is one of the best things you can do. Follow that up with some tailwheel and off the chart navigation, and your air sense will be much better than what these pilot farms are churning out.

Flown:
    couple of turbines and a bunch of pistons
    Civ/Mil:
    Civ
    Ratings:
    yes & yes
    Assuming they want to fly, my kid(s) will do PPL in a Pacer or Stinson...and only then as an add on to their Glider initial.

They WILL NOT fly professionally (learn from me!) but they'll be very competent private flyers.