Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private Pilots on Airliners....

Flown:
    T-34, T-28, S-2, C1A, C-47, C-54, P-3, P-2, L-188, DC-8, DC-9, CV-580, C-46, B-17G, CA-212, DA-20, NA-265, LJ, CE-550, DHC-6, AC-690, BE-200, BE-90
    Civ/Mil:
    Both
    Ratings:
    ATP, CFI, CFII, CFMEI B-17, CA-212, CE-550, DC-3, DC-9, DA-20, L-188
    I was never a private pilot, but I have trained a lot of privates pilots, they are very proud of being a pilot. They nmight be trying to make pilot small talk with a professional. I would go you must be a pilot, that is great, let me show you my cockpit. It is great meeting another pilot
    Fly because you like to, if you are in it for the respect, prestige, recognition or money you may be disappointed.

Flown:
    CE500,CE560XL,CE650,CE680,HS125,EA50S
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    ATP/ME/CFII
    In your best Captain Oveur voice just ask "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?" or "Joey, have you ever been…in a Turkish Prison?" lol
    "The wheel in the sky keeps on turnin"

Flown:
    Pipers, Cessnas, TH-55, Hueys, T-37, T-38, KC-135R, J-41, Falcon-20, DC-9, 744
    Civ/Mil:
    Mil/Civ
    Ratings:
    744, ATPL: DC-9(KCAA), DC-9, DA-20, ATP, Comm/Inst-Helo, PPL-SEL
    I had an FA ask me about the "hard landing", and how she liked smooth landings. I told her about the recent VERY SMOOTH landing that took place in SE Asia. It was so "good" and "smooth" that the passengers cheered and clapped for the pilots.

Then it went off the runway, crashed, and burst into flames, killing half of the passengers. They landed out of the touchdown zone and they were too fast. She didn't say anything after that.

I saw a capt at a major tell the FO their landing was great. They landed about 5000' down the runwy...very smooth. I thought it was unsafe.
    What the Hot Chicks packed BEFORE they had guns!

TRY.
    It is what God wants, and it is all you CAN do!

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    Large turboprops and a few jets
    Civ/Mil:
    civ
    Ratings:
    ATP
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotyip View Post
    I was never a private pilot, but I have trained a lot of privates pilots, they are very proud of being a pilot. They nmight be trying to make pilot small talk with a professional. I would go you must be a pilot, that is great, let me show you my cockpit. It is great meeting another pilot
    Yes, of course, and I'm happy to do that. I used to be a private pilot myself, and had license plates to show the world! But I don't think I would ever question a professional pilot like some of them do to me. If someone says to me that they fly small planes, or just like aircraft, I show them all I can. It's the arrogant ones that think they need to tell me how to fly, or try to catch me in a mistake that bother me. Sometimes when they start asking me, I just ask if they are a pilot, and they walk away. That's all they wanted, for me to notice that they know something. Why not just tell me? I love talking to other pilots, but I also have a job to do. I also don't want to talk about technical problems in front of the passengers. Some people are really easy to scare! I once had a guy say that my front tires were flat. The weren't, but look flat on the side because they are chined tires. He was in the cabin telling everyone around him that I had flat nosewheel tires!
    Last edited by skydiverdriver2; 08-14-2013 at 11:14.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    Civ/Mil:
    civ
    Ratings:
    ATP
    Quote Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
    I had an FA ask me about the "hard landing", and how she liked smooth landings. I told her about the recent VERY SMOOTH landing that took place in SE Asia. It was so "good" and "smooth" that the passengers cheered and clapped for the pilots.

Then it went off the runway, crashed, and burst into flames, killing half of the passengers. They landed out of the touchdown zone and they were too fast. She didn't say anything after that.

I saw a capt at a major tell the FO their landing was great. They landed about 5000' down the runwy...very smooth. I thought it was unsafe.
    True. People in the cabin have no idea what a good landing is. When I was a first officer, one of the flight attendants came up to the cockpit after we landed and asked who did the landing. I said it was me. She said it was really nice. Then she looked at the captain and said, "your's suck!" I then explained to her that he had gusty winds on his approach, and he put it on the centerline in the touchdown zone. For some reason, ignorant people think that smooth landings are somehow "good." Of course, there is never any time to educate people while you are working.

Flown:
    Bae31 EMB-145 A-320 B737
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    ATP Bae31 A-320 B737
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiverdriver2 View Post
    True. People in the cabin have no idea what a good landing is. When I was a first officer, one of the flight attendants came up to the cockpit after we landed and asked who did the landing. I said it was me. She said it was really nice. Then she looked at the captain and said, "your's suck!" I then explained to her that he had gusty winds on his approach, and he put it on the centerline in the touchdown zone. For some reason, ignorant people think that smooth landings are somehow "good." Of course, there is never any time to educate people while you are working.
    Explain to her what your auto responses as a FO to a CPT is :
    Nice Landing sir
    It must have been a Gust
    And ........
    I will take the fat one

After repeating these standard responses say to her - well I guess I get you tonight.

Registered Aviator
    Flown:
    Civ/Mil:
    civ
    Ratings:
    ATP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Explain to her what your auto responses as a FO to a CPT is :
    Nice Landing sir
    It must have been a Gust
    And ........
    I will take the fat one

After repeating these standard responses say to her - well I guess I get you tonight.
    What if I'm the captain?

Urban Legend/Rural Myth flyboyike's Avatar
    Flown:
    CL600-3Cwhatever, CL600-5Dwhateverelse, E170/175, A320 family
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    A Few Here and There
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiverdriver2 View Post
    I hate to sound mean, but does anyone have a good solution for when a private pilot asks a demeaning or perhaps accusatory question after you landed and he was on your airliner? I've had them ask about my landings, whether I had thrust reversers, did I land downwind and one claimed I had a near miss during cruise. Don't they know that airliners are operated very differently from light aircraft? I try to be nice, but I've heard of some going to the FAA and making complaints. I've had them scare other passengers during flight as well! I try to answer their questions, and never mind an honest one, but some are so arrogant and you can tell they are trying to trap you. I recently had one tag me in the airport bathroom! Can't I get a minute alone!

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Just thank them for flying with you and decisively motion for them to keep walking.
    You drive like my old girlfriend Running Deer Patel. She was half Indian and half Indian.

Flown:
    SE/ME/No engine/Broken engine...
    Civ/Mil:
    Civilian
    Ratings:
    B737, C525(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaTerry View Post
    Maybe it's the old CFI in me but I'm rather happy to explain things to them. If they are being an ass in their questioning, I can make them look stupid by turning some questions around at them.

Great answer.
    I'm still at the stage that I genuinely smile when I'm at the door.
    it's more annoying to me when FA's come in and ask you about the landing and then go like (hands waving) Capt so-so alwaaaaaays does smooth landings...

yeah whatevah.....