Delta FTI position(s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kaman

Any information or details on the Flight Training Instructor positions that DL is advertising would be appreciated...Thank you!

Where do you see them advertised ? Are they DGS or DSS ?

They usually require previous instructor/LCA experience and likely time in type.

Try asking on jet careers forum. It's very Delta-centric.

Last edited:
I have 5 type ratings, SFI/TCE And 12-years 121...The job is with Delta itself and not a subsidiary, or I’d not bother...

I have 5 type ratings, SFI/TCE And 12-years 121...The job is with Delta itself and not a subsidiary, or I’d not bother...

Kaman,

I see. I was just going by your profile.

The DGS sim instructor job is OK but not great as it's just $$$ per sim period and some travel benefits. But that's where a lot of instructors have come from at least in the last 10 years or so.

I didn't know DL hired sim instructors off the street into Delta itself...usually make those in-house from seniority list pilots or via DGS to my knowledge.

Without seeing the ad, it's hard to know what the deal is. But the training load is huge these days and likely to get worse.

Good luck in the hunt.

Kaman,

Found the ad containing this statement:

“This is a Full Time Permanent Flight Training Instructor position with Delta Air Lines.”

Checked with my buddy, a looooong time training dept guy, who said he's pretty sure all off-the-street sim instructors are DGS rather that full blooded DL employees. Some ground school guys may be full DL employees who transferred in from other departments. Hope this helps.

Thanks, BAFAN...I've completed step 1 in the process and moving onto Step 2. And, the position is with DL F/T, BUT will not lead to a seniority position and I am not seeking one. In the current pilot job market and hiring climate, just about every 121 carrier is hiring off-the-street for FTIs. I read an article recently that stated worldwide there is literally NOT enough simulator/simulator time available to meet the needs over the forseeable future assuming air travel demand continues to grow. I wouldn't even pursue this if the job with was DGS...Not that I have anything against DGS, I don't want to work for a contractor...Too much unknowns with that form of employment. And, to my understanding this will be the first group that is being hired off the street as FTIs...I know this...I am not willing to stay at my present employer to retirement, and if DL doesn't work out there are PLENTY of training jobs...nationwide and all over the world if one wants to pursue them...So, while the managers have been scrambling to hire and poach pilots away from other jobs...Guess what pool has been drained just about dry? INSTRUCTOR cadre...

I read an article recently that stated worldwide there is literally NOT enough simulator/simulator time available to meet the needs over the forseeable future assuming air travel demand continues to grow. Guess what pool has been drained just about dry? INSTRUCTOR cadre...

Kaman,

Excellent. Sounds like you've got a handle on this thing.

I believe you're right about the instructor pool...all the way from CFIs to mainline sim instructors. Lots & lots of people need to be trained all along the pipeline.

While there are lots of Part 121 guys retiring, relatively few of them have air carrier instructing experience ( the two I know didn't want to do it any more)...and DL at least requires previous instructing experience ,or did when they turned me down when I retired. I thought it would be a great thing to do.

Maybe they need to rethink their stance on that if they're so hard pressed for sim instructors.

Hope it works out for you. I always felt DL had a great training department.

Latest resources

Back