ALPA Membership

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vrefus

It's correct to say that it depends on the state that determines whether it's mandatory or an option to join a union. I believe in FL for instance it's called the Sunshine Law where it is optional. Here in NC it is also optional but if you choose not to join there are still dues or service charge deducted from your paycheck.

The first year that you are with the company and in the union, you pay nothing as an apprentice. In saying this, you are also ineligible to vote on union matters or hold office in the union. As your probationary period is up, the local membership votes you in to the union, if you've kept your nose clean. It's rare to have someone not voted in especially if they've made it through probation.

As for being a member, I don't see the benefits in not being a member unless you are adamantly opposed philosophically to union practices. They do offer excellent services at times. But, lastly, the union is only as good as your local chapter called the LEC and your local MEC. That's where the ball starts to roll.

Ask the guys who were with AirTran how ALPA worked out for them, it was a money grab as usual by ALPA and they continued to milk the pilots until the final day without helping them.
I had a friend flying for Ryan Int. and when FedEx got the postal contract they were furloughed and ALPA continued to send out demand letters for dues. They again did nothing to help the little people - just send them money

I was at AirTran, and ALPA got me a massive pay raise. I'd say it worked pretty well.

The turd in the urinal at the ATL Renaissance hotel during the SWAPA party for Airtran ALPA personifies ALPA. Nothing but a nasty laughable turd in the airline industry that spoils the party, does little good and has to be cleaned up.

PCL,
The only reason you got a big pay raise was because SWA bough AT, How could you get a big pay raise if you left the SWA? or are you now drinking the SWA cool aid, hard to compare SWA rates to Walmart's

PCL,
The only reason you got a big pay raise was because SWA bough AT, How could you get a big pay raise if you left the SWA? or are you now drinking the SWA cool aid, hard to compare SWA rates to Walmart's

True, but sadly SWAPA doesn't understand that just like with Airtran, we will get a contract when Gary decides it's time.

Latest resources

Back