Current JB upgrade times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How senior is LGB for new hires?

Also if you go to LGB make sure you live in base. You will spend years on reserve in LGB and commuting to reserve at JB gets a bit painful. However living in base on reserve especially as an FO can be a pretty sweet gig. Guy in my class '11 hire has bid reserve for about 4 years now and flew 13 days in 2014. However he had to add 3 days of work to get to sim to do his 3 bounces once so he actually worked 16 days last year. Not a horrible part time gig.

Also if you go to LGB make sure you live in base. You will spend years on reserve in LGB and commuting to reserve at JB gets a bit painful. However living in base on reserve especially as an FO can be a pretty sweet gig. Guy in my class '11 hire has bid reserve for about 4 years now and flew 13 days in 2014. However he had to add 3 days of work to get to sim to do his 3 bounces once so he actually worked 16 days last year. Not a horrible part time gig.

Wow look like someone figured the system out, that would be a dream.

I don't think that applies any more, jb is trying to utilize reserves to recover the overtime pay that would otherwise go to line holders. Trips are withheld from open time and given to reserves. They figure the reserve guarantees are already paid for, might as well fly them.
When I was on rsv, they would fly me right to the ot threshhold and no more trips, even though I still had to sit there for another x number of days. Unless CS was really in a bind, that is. One time it was literally 74.6 hours and still had to sit rsv for 4 days. I was not happy.

Last edited:
Edit to the above post:
My last rsv stint was several years ago.

I don't think that applies any more, jb is trying to utilize reserves to recover the overtime pay that would otherwise go to line holders. Trips are withheld from open time and given to reserves. They figure the reserve guarantees are already paid for, might as well fly them.
When I was on rsv, they would fly me right to the ot threshhold and no more trips, even though I still had to sit there for another x number of days. Unless CS was really in a bind, that is. One time it was literally 74.6 hours and still had to sit rsv for 4 days. I was not happy.

I was always curious about this scenario...in the above case could you UTO the last four days if the grid was green?

How do other airlines handle that scenario...seems like you are working for free at that point.

I was always curious about this scenario...in the above case could you UTO the last four days if the grid was green?

How do other airlines handle that scenario...seems like you are working for free at that point.

No. You can only UTO 1 day. Can't UTO under 70 hours. UTOing 1 day puts you at like 71.

I'm currently filling out the app, what are the resv rules like? How many days off on resv?

What's a realistic timeframe to hold MCO or FLL?
thx.

Just don't go to the interview being enthusiastic about MCO or FLL (or LGB based for that matter). Know that the junior based are JFK and BOS. Know the company before you interview.

Latest resources

Back