• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shhez....more lotto winners. What's in it for me? I got nothing out of this deal

Good move.

I do not know why SWA would be anyone's first choice as a new hire.

-Stagnant seniority list. Not any hull growth in sight.
-Contract quickly falling behind Delta, AA, United
-CEO who's legacy will be transforming SWA into a Legacy airline
-Low retirement rate compared to the above mentioned airlines.
-have to pay $7000 for a type rating to qualify for a less desirable job.

I think these are the reason Flight Ops changed the policy. I know and respect Craig but the reasons he stated was way down the list.

Now if only they will drop that pointless FAR 1.1 PIC time and join the rest of the aviation world and count 61.51....

What did they say about the "current hiring environment" ?:

The number of applicants accepting interviews has dropped ?

The number of those accepting a job and showing up for class has dropped ?

People on the bottom are leaving in disturbing numbers ?

What are "other things" ?

Without seeing the email first hand, we interested observers can only ask questions.

It seems that changing a 40 year, hard-and-fast employment requirement is a significant event. There must be a story there...

Just curious. I'm not looking for a job. :D
I won't quote a company memo on a forum, but if you want to see the actual memo it is posted in an identical thread on Airline Pilot Central.

P.S. It's about time and good riddance.

I won't quote a company memo on a forum...

HB,

Understand. I was just remarking that those of us in the Peanut Gallery don't have the best info. I wasn't really expecting to see the memo itself but thought SWA would make a public statement about it.

I thought there might be "...a link to the official statement of the change...".

The change in policy can only help your headhunting. :cool:

Last edited:
HB,

Understand. I was just remarking that those of us in the Peanut Gallery don't have the best info. I wasn't really expecting to see the memo itself but thought SWA would make a public statement about it.

I thought there might be "...a link to the official statement of the change...".

The change in policy can only help your headhunting. :cool:

The email put as much info. on the Type requirement as it it did the light weight jacket

Now if only they will drop that pointless FAR 1.1 PIC time and join the rest of the aviation world and count 61.51....

I'm not an SW pilot, but I actually agree with the use of the FAR 1.1 definition of PIC time. It allows a clear delineation portraying that the person concerned was the one actually responsible for the operation of the aircraft. Any yutz with a rating can be a "sole manipulator."

"Pilot in command means the person who:
(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;
(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and
(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight
."

Long over due. The catalyst to making this happen was the training of nearly 1000 non typed pilots in house. Improvements to the training department (AQP). No real insurance benefit anymore. And yes. The competitive landscape of the industry was a major factor too in the update. It will be looked upon favorably to anyone who makes the investment.

They actually said a 737 type would be looked upon favorably and as another "feather in the cap" if you have one. This cracks me up. If it were me doing the selecting I would be wondering if someone who showed up with a type they paid for needs to have their head examined....but that's just me. I'm sure all my new coworkers at SWA would disagree.

They actually said a 737 type would be looked upon favorably and as another "feather in the cap" if you have one. This cracks me up. If it were me doing the selecting I would be wondering if someone who showed up with a type they paid for needs to have their head examined....but that's just me. I'm sure all my new coworkers at SWA would disagree.

Probably to make the folks who recently bought one feel better. You know your pissed if you just bought type in the last month or two.

Latest resources

Back