• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Associates degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More and more places are finding that a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. More and more places are making it perferred.

This is demonstrably untrue. Your personal opinion about the need for a degree is fine, but giving people bad advice could cost them a good career. Be more responsible with your rhetoric.

You mean NWA, UAL, CAL, AAL, USAirways are not majors, those are the places I know that have hired non-degreed guys. DAL is the only one where I don't know anyone hired without a college degree since 1969. Unless of course you were a non-degreed NWA guy who became a DAL guy.

No. Those are places that USE to hire non-degree guys. Not anymore

Do I read this that people with a four year piece of paper are superior to those who do not have hat degree?

For some people, a four year degree may be nothing more than a piece of paper. However, it's still a piece of paper you have to have according to HR.

Damn! I should have spent that $120k at Embry-Riddle!

I suppose you could if you wanted to flush mommy and daddy's money down the crapper, but a $40k degree from YourStateU would work just as fine.

But to each their own, I suppose.

I suppose you could if you wanted to flush mommy and daddy's money down the crapper, but a $40k degree from YourStateU would work just as fine.

You just made a great argument about the ridiculous notion of a degree requirement. Doesn't matter what the degree is on, and it doesn't matter the quality of the school..., as long as you tick the box..! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for higher education and I've put my education to good use on my business but flying? Not so much!

Do I read this that people with a four year piece of paper are superior to those who do not have hat degree?

Not at all. But if a company decides they want people with a degree, then fine. If you want to work there you need a degree.

I think the problem with being a pilot is they airline hiring department doesnt know how good a pilot you are. You may have thousands of hours, but that doesnt mean you are a good pilot. All the hours in the world won't turn a bad pilot into a good pilot. It will simply make you a very experienced bad pilot.

All that said, put yourself in the position of HR. You are hiring for a position....any position. if you had two people who were otherwise equal, but one had a degree and one did not, who would you hire?

Last edited:
Not at all. But if a company decides they want people with a degree, then fine. If you want yo work there you need a degree.

I think the problem with being a pilot is the airline hiring department really doesn't know how good a pilot you are. You may have thousands of hours, but that doesn't mean you are a good pilot. All the hours on the world won't turn a bad pilot into a good pilot. It will simply make you a very experienced bad pilot.

All that said, put yourself in the position of HR. You are hiring for a position......any position. If you had two people who were otherwise equal, but one had a degree and one did not, who would you hire?

I would certainly interview them first, then decide.

More and more places are finding that a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. More and more places are making it perferred. Apply everywhere on a regular basis
No degree is needed to be a competent professional pilot. I agree. A degree is needed however if you want to work for any of the top tier airlines in this country. I agree with that too. I've had guys I've flown with in the past ask for reco's. I don't write them for guys without degrees because I know I'm wasting my time.

That's just the way it goes. If times change, fine but I'll not lobby for such a change. Until the pool is depleted, the airlines can seek whatever quals they deem appropriate. Getting a degree isn't hard. Guys who haven't taken the time to get one are not terribly serious about working for certain airlines. No big deal, there are plenty of other options and recruiters know this.

I would certainly interview them first, then decide.

I said all things being equal except the degree. That means the interview too.

But that's an isolated example. When comparing two individuals, a degree may not mean much. But when going through thousands of applications, I think the odds of interviewing the best candidates go up if you put a preference on a degree.

Latest resources

Back