• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's been said that they will need more captains than there are FOs on the seniority list. To me it looks like a way to pay the pilot in the captain seat first year pay rather than the upgraded FO 3+year pay while at the same time being circumvented on the list.

yeah and it's a way to get a lot more than your standard FO when working that seat

That was my only point. Your company is setting artificial minimums when the only one that is mandated by the FAA is 1,000 hours of previous 121/135 time. That's a really good way to piss off FOs that otherwise meet faa minimums to be captain.

well, insurance companies are involved as well. Those details are not open to me. Total time required is 3500. it's a simple calculus really; got the time get upgraded. the company does not have a lot of flexibility to reduce these hours much. I'm aware of 3 year FOs on property that lack the times needed. When they do get the time they will upgrade and likely skip the reserve part as they then jump ahead of all those junior Captains that do have the time

reread the OP; Not aware that a "sale" of planes per se is what's involved here. I think it's more a transfer of leases (?) some kind of high-finace shenanigans not sure that there's anything there that could be blocked

Last edited:
yeah and it's a way to get a lot more than your standard FO when working that seat

Then it must speak volumes of the quality of FOs on property.

well, insurance companies are involved as well. Those details are not open to me. Total time required is 3500. it's a simple calculus really; got the time get upgraded. the company does not have a lot of flexibility to reduce these hours much. I'm aware of 3 year FOs on property that lack the times needed. When they do get the time they will upgrade and likely skip the reserve part as they then jump ahead of all those junior Captains that do have the time

reread the OP; Not aware that a "sale" of planes per se is what's involved here. I think it's more a transfer of leases (?) some kind of high-finace shenanigans not sure that there's anything there that could be blocked

No such insurance requirements at xjt. Why would an insurance company see TSA pilots as more of a risk?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you are trying to say on your second paragraph as it relates to artificial upgrade minimums.

Be on reserve indefinitely in BOTH seats. That's not brutal.

I wouldn't think reserve would last more than a year (which is tough, don't get me wrong). But they are going to more than double their fleet, which should get a new Captain a line near the end of their growth.

Then it must speak volumes of the quality of FOs on property.

No such insurance requirements at xjt. Why would an insurance company see TSA pilots as more of a risk?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you are trying to say on your second paragraph as it relates to artificial upgrade minimums.

Many airlines have stipulations regarding "insurance minimums" - XJT is likely the exception rather than the rule. My previous carrier did, it was in the FOM - and that was even when it was a wholly owned subsidiary of NW/DL.

No such insurance requirements at xjt.

We self insure from what I know which means we can do what we want.

TSA insures through a 3rd party. If their insurance mandates the total time requirement, no way to get around that. TSA does have a 2:1 allowance up to a certain amount when time is flown in TSA planes. This reduces the 3500 hours TT requirement for those on property already.

Current FOs here are not upset over the CQFO because they do not have the time to upgrade. The company will hire enough CQFOs to make sure they have enough people qualified to upgrade. No FOs will get bypassed. As they get the minimums they will upgrade. End state will have All the FOs on property now plus the CQFOs upgraded when all the aircraft arrive. We have two full classes of CQFOs this month, and have already filed a class for next month. Plenty of Expressjet (sorry Nevets), Envoy, Republic and Endeavor guys filling the classes.

The main factor driving this is the donut hole on the TSA seniority list. There are four guys on the list from 9/2007-4/2012 (one is the DO). Many of the low timers hired in 2012 still have a ways to go to have the time for upgrade, and many hired in 2013 and 14 are still working on total time and the 1000 hours of 121 time.

Don't listen to Nevets. He's been completely discredited on other message boards. CQFO is a good opportunity for those that have the qualifications to upgrade but have a long wait in their present postion. Nevets is on a personal crusade against Trans States and facts are optional for him. He knows nothing about the company or our contract even though he spouts off like he does.

CQFOs will have the ability to bid for Captain just like anybody else when they finish training. Those who get in early will likely get bids to Captain quickly as Trans States has many FOs that do not meet requirements. Most recent upgrade class had 2/13 hires.

Last edited:
It's been said that they will need more captains than there are FOs on the seniority list. To me it looks like a way to pay the pilot in the captain seat first year pay rather than the upgraded FO 3+year pay while at the same time being circumvented on the list.

You know this is crap Nevets. No one is getting bypassed that is qualified.

Latest resources

Back