Aircraft to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

When a person is hired as a first officer for a major airline like Delta, United, etc., how does the airline determine which aircraft this new first officer will be assigned?

It is all bid on by the new pilots in seniority order (usually age from oldest to youngest). What planes are available to the new hires is all based upon staffing needs of the airline. You usually won't see the bigger widebody aircraft (777,747,330) available to newhires.

Not sure what you mean

There is only one AC. 737

Now model may be different

200,300,500,700. And soon to be Max. :)

Only the top few guys in class get wide body international. I got the E190 because I ate the glue during arts and crafts training. At least I didn't get assigned express.

Last edited:
Here is a list from another website of the most recent class(yesterday) at DL. 30 total pilots, and at DL the seniority in your class does not go by age, rather the last 4 digits of their Social Security Number. The top plane was bid by the most senior, all the way to the bottom. The bottom guy in the class got the 7ER (757/767) based in NYC. But the latest bid that was awarded today showed recent new hires on the 75/76 able to hold Salt Lake City and probably LAX in the next new hire class.

Here is the post from APC: top guy in the class of 30 chose ATL 717 FO, and so on:

Originally Posted by BURNTBLADE

717 ATL
320 ATL
88 NYC
88 ATL
7ER NYC
7ER ATL X 2
717 DTW
320 ATL X 2
7ER ATL
717 ATL X2
88 ATL
7ER ATL
717 DTW
88 ATL
320 NYC X 2
73N NYC
7ER NYC
717 DTN
7ER NYC
88 ATL X 4
88 NYC X 2
7ER NYC

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Only the top few guys in class get wide body international. I got the E190 because I ate the glue during arts and crafts training. At least I didn't get assigned express.

Wide body intl went to the bottom four guys in my new hire class. 737 went straight down until they were gone.

When a person is hired as a first officer for a major airline like Delta, United, etc., how does the airline determine which aircraft this new first officer will be assigned?

The airline measures your awesomeness quotient and goes from there.

What is 717 DTN?

Looks like he made a mistake. That was supposed to be 717 DTW. Right now there are 2 717 bases, ATL and DTW. The latest bid though opened a new one in NYC, with 20 Capts and 7 FOs awarded. That means there will be some 717 FO slots in NYC available in upcoming newhire classes. But as you can see, each class has good VARIETY, and if you want a West Coast base, try to bid a plane that is currently at a West Coast base (320, 73N (737 Next Gen), or 7ER). Lately very junior pilots have been getting SLC and even LAX.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back