• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Freighter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dunno what the -9 max takeoff is, but the -200 is only 53,000lbs with typical bow's of >30,000lbs give or take in an airline configuration. Also, the -200 is extremely nose heavy, might limit how much freight it can actually carry. While they are certainly more fuel efficient than the -9's, I dont think they are going to make good freighters. Now the -700's and -900's are a much better plane and would make a better replacement for the -9's

I would like to see if they are still nose heavy after a cargo conversion.
I would also like to see if ballast is required when flying a cargo converted version while empty.

I dunno what the -9 max takeoff is, but the -200 is only 53,000lbs with typical bow's of >30,000lbs give or take in an airline configuration. Also, the -200 is extremely nose heavy, might limit how much freight it can actually carry. While they are certainly more fuel efficient than the -9's, I dont think they are going to make good freighters. Now the -700's and -900's are a much better plane and would make a better replacement for the -9's
Much of this was also said about the MD-80 cargo conversion, it has worked out to be a pretty good bird for moving lots of heavy stuff.

Good looking bird, but I don't see a cargo door on it. You can be a cargo plane without a cargo door. ABX ran DC-9's with passenger doors, a lot LJ operators fly with just the passenger door. I don't think anyone has built a carg door version of the bird yet.

If there is a cargo door, it's probably on the port side.....like most any cargo birds.

If there is a cargo door, it's probably on the port side.....like most any cargo birds.
Yes that could be, but no one has verified the exsisitnce of CRJ cargo door bird yet.

A couple companies are looking at making CRJ cargo conversions. The company in Miami AEI (?) who did our MD-80 cargo conversion is supposed to be ready to build one. First they want enough orders to make it worth while, the conversion is supposed to run over $1M.

A lot of cargo operators are looking at this bird, so we may here something soon. It will have to operate under 121 due to its payload. I understand the older ones with the smaller engines will suffer performce problems conmpared to the DA-20's and DC-9's that go into smaller fields.

The operators considering such an aircraft are probably overseas and not in the US because of the many regulations cutting into profits.

Latest resources

Back