Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Auburn_CFI

Gone fishing.
I (CP pilot) attempted to JS on ExpressJet (ASA/DCI) flight 5200 yesterday from ATL-BHM. I arrived at the gate approximately 35 minutes prior to scheduled departure time and asked if the jumpseat was available. Agent informed me that JS had already been assigned to FedEx pilot. I asked if a DCI pilot would not have some priority over a FX pilot on a DCI flight. Agent said they would look into it.

After about 15 minutes of trying to figure it out I asked if they could just verify with CA. CA said to send the FX jumpseater and leave me as XJT's jumpseat is first come first serve.

Is this correct? At CPZ we would give priority to DCI pilot over any other OAL pilot with the only caveat being that inside of 15 minutes it becomes first come first served due to DAL's boarding policies.

Thanks

I (CP pilot) attempted to JS on ExpressJet (ASA/DCI) flight 5200 yesterday from ATL-BHM. I arrived at the gate approximately 35 minutes prior to scheduled departure time and asked if the jumpseat was available. Agent informed me that JS had already been assigned to FedEx pilot. I asked if a DCI pilot would not have some priority over a FX pilot on a DCI flight. Agent said they would look into it.

After about 15 minutes of trying to figure it out I asked if they could just verify with CA. CA said to send the FX jumpseater and leave me as XJT's jumpseat is first come first serve.

Is this correct? At CPZ we would give priority to DCI pilot over any other OAL pilot with the only caveat being that inside of 15 minutes it becomes first come first served due to DAL's boarding policies.

Thanks

He was incorrect, sorry. I believe on DCI flights after all the ASA/XJT folks it goes SKYW, DL/DCI, OAL. First come/first serve w/i each seperate group

Sorry Dude, you got screwed.

Our J/S priority is our own, Skywest, Delta or other DCI, then offline for a
Delta flight. If it was a United flight then they have priority over offline. Your best avenue now is to have your J/S coord call our J/S coord and document it all. If you don't go that route, then it never happened and there is no problem.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling this was the case. I am sure part of the blame is on the agent because I have no idea how she presented it to the CA. She shouldn't have "cleared" the FX guy onto the JS that far in advance either.

I'll let our JS coordinator know and hopefully he can get in touch with his XJT counterpart and possibly educate those involved (agent and CA) so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks again for the information.

First of all, you can't trust the gate agents to care enough to convey your message properly. Secondly, not everyone knows who Compass is, let alone that they fly DCI. Many pilots are not in the loop quite frankly when it comes to the industry. They get all wrapped up in themselves.

No excuse however if the Captain made that decision. He could easily have looked it up. Mid seniority guy too from Crewtrac info. Sorry you got hosed.

Last edited:
I know that captain and can't imagine him doing that. I wonder if the gate actually talked to him.

I know that captain and can't imagine him doing that. I wonder if the gate actually talked to him.

Me too. I think we need to make a trip up to the gate D-15 to see what's going on up there. You can't trust these gate agents.

I was once told by a Delta gate agent that it was DCI before OAL after I told her I worked for ASA........this was in ATL. We argued about weather or not ASA was a DCI carrier. REALLY?????

Me too. I think we need to make a trip up to the gate D-15 to see what's going on up there. You can't trust these gate agents.

I was once told by a Delta gate agent that it was DCI before OAL after I told her I worked for ASA........this was in ATL. We argued about weather or not ASA was a DCI carrier. REALLY?????

This flight was out of C-46. The agents were obviously somewhat confused but they said that was the word from the CA. Who knows. I've submitted this to our JS chair so hopefully they can get it sorted out so this doesn't happen in the future.

Last edited:
yeah those gate agents in the ATL sometimes are either too busy to check (esp. if they already cleared someone) or just plain don't give a shet. Hope it ends up being the GA, can't imagine one of our Capt doing that.

Latest resources

Back