Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flystoomuch

I need help understanding 121.652(a)

The first sentence is not a problem and is further explained by the table in OpSpec C054 which for example increases published landing minimums from RVR 1800 to RVR 4500 for high minimum pilots.
(a) If the pilot in command of an airplane has not served 100 hours as pilot in command in operations under this part in the type of airplane he is operating, the MDA or DA/DH and visibility landing minimums in the certificate holder's operations specification for regular, provisional, or refueling airports are increased by 100 feet and one-half mile (or the RVR equivalent).

It is the second sentence that makes absolutely no sense to my little pea brain:
The MDA or DA/DH and visibility minimums need not be increased above those applicable to the airport when used as an alternate airport, but in no event may the landing minimums be less than 300 and 1.

Is there anyone that can give me a simple but precise plain English explanation of that second sentence?

HELP PLEASE!

You have to add 100 1/2 to mins. OR what your ops specs read at your company but cannot be any lower then 300 and 1 regardless. Hopefully that makes sense for you.

Basically what it means is a PIC with less than 100 hours in the airplane can not add the 100 foot ceiling and 1/2 mile visibility to anything less than a standard CAT 1 approach, 200 feet and 1/2 mile, even if your Ops Specs allow CAT 2 or CAT 3 approaches or lower than standard RVR approaches.

This applies to landing minimums at the destination airport only. It does not affect your alternate minimums.

You have to add 100 1/2 to mins. OR what your ops specs read at your company but cannot be any lower then 300 and 1 regardless. Hopefully that makes sense for you.
The add-on decreases as the visibility increases, like if RVR is 6000 there is no add-on. Therefore when you have 300/1, there is no add on. Plus there is no add on for the alternate because they are already built into Op Spec C-55 that can be no lower than 400' and 1

Unless your company has Exemption 10184. Then you get to be high mins and fly a Cat II procedure approach to normal (not high mins) Cat I minimums, this comes with several IF bullet points that if you don't have that exemption, aren't worth listing, and if you do, you can look them up

Latest resources

Back