Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Beaches in Afghanistan ? Remarkable.

:D

It's an hour and a half transit through Pakistan, up the blvd from the North Arabian sea. Yes, you have to cross a beach. Looked like a nice one too, there is some kind of little resort looking town on the water at the Iran/Pakistan border. May have just been another shtty fishing village though.

Last edited:
Somehow these small airlines think they are entitled to a ready supply of pilots willing to do the job for nothing, they are not. Not every little community is entitled to air service, people can drive to a bigger city and fly from there. The bottom line is that if a Part 121 airline can't offer compensation sufficient to attract and maintain qualified employees then they do not have a viable business and that is that. As an airline pilots I'm not going to shed any tears if flying migrates to larger airplanes operated by larger companies that offer a better career and more compensation.

I hope the knee jerk reaction to all this is NOT raising the retirement age, but I fear that will happen...ICAO first, then us...too many factors support it: a looming demographic driven pilot shortage, smaller military, and now this ridiculous law...work till you die will be the future of commercial aviation....unless the drones take over...

I agree but that's a stop-gap measure that will do as much to make the problem worse as it does to solve it. The more they extend the age the more it slows hiring at the bottom and delays career progression. As this happens the career becomes less and less attractive to potential new pilots and fewer and fewer young people will enter the field. Sooner or later you will hit the point where older pilots either start to become medically disqualified at higher rates and/or actually (if you can believe it) WANT to retire. When that happens you will have a nearly empty pipeline for replacements.

The switch from 60 to 65 coupled with the severe economic downturn and the massive cost of getting qualified has turned young people off to the point where almost nobody seriously considers commercial piloting as a viable career option.

Last edited:
It's obvious you don't know much about the airline business South of the border. This is high revenue flying. These customers want assigned seats, food, and they don't want to ride with rif raf. You'll see no flip flops and tank tops apart from the US customers you bring in. Remember too that it didn't take passengers long to figure out all they had to do was buy two tickets and they basically got around the meat of the WA. It'll be no different at HOU. And the passengers have to go through C&BP anyway. They will buy one ticket to HOU on Interjet, Avianca, TACA, LAN, COPA, etc. and buy another on SWA out of HOU. The only thing stopping it at the moment is you've only allowed one gate for them.
*Trust me, that scenario is going to play out. Unless you're giving away the International leg, the passenger is going to want to patronize the home team as much as possible. They won't hesitate to buy a cheap ticket thru the US on SWA, but as soon as you get them back to HOU they're going to want to get back on the airplane that feels like they are already home.

So, you're saying the flip flop low paying crowd won't use SWA, but then mention TACA/LAN/COPA, and fail to note Spirit and Allegiant, not to mention another LCC, lets see who are they, oh yes, AirTran.

You are all over the map, you can't even make a logical argument.

Somehow these small airlines think they are entitled to a ready supply of pilots willing to do the job for nothing, they are not. Not every little community is entitled to air service, people can drive to a bigger city and fly from there. The bottom line is that if a Part 121 airline can't offer compensation sufficient to attract and maintain qualified employees then they do not have a viable business and that is that. As an airline pilots I'm not going to shed any tears if flying migrates to larger airplanes operated by larger companies that offer a better career and more compensation.
^^^^^^^^^^ This needs to be a bumper sticker

I agree but that's a stop-gap measure that will do as much to make the problem worse as it does to solve it. The more they extend the age the more it slows hiring at the bottom and delays career progression. As this happens the career becomes less and less attractive to potential new pilots and fewer and fewer young people will enter the field. Sooner or later you will hit the point where older pilots either start to become medically qualified at higher rates and/or actually (if you can believe it) WANT to retire. When that happens you will have a nearly empty pipeline for replacements.

The switch from 60 to 65 coupled with the severe economic downturn and the massive cost of getting qualified has turned young people off to the point where almost nobody seriously considers commercial piloting as a viable career option.
I have two smart boys, they refuse to consider a career in flying knowing they'll be living our of a van for the first ten or fifteen years.

So, you're saying the flip flop low paying crowd won't use SWA, but then mention TACA/LAN/COPA, and fail to note Spirit and Allegiant, not to mention another LCC, lets see who are they, oh yes, AirTran.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

All these countries want First Class and full amenities according to Flop. That's the exact opposite of what I've observed. I've seen legacies pull away with coach completely full and one person in first class. Spirit goes everywhere down there, and I'm pretty sure they are full.

Try again Flop.

I have two smart boys, they refuse to consider a career in flying knowing they'll be living our of a van for the first ten or fifteen years.
Never can tell sometimes the best time to get into something is when everyone says don't get into it. I think of Ford Motor Company in Dec 2008. Everyone said it is going BK, it stock is worthless at $1.78 a share.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

All these countries want First Class and full amenities according to Flop. That's the exact opposite of what I've observed. I've seen legacies pull away with coach completely full and one person in first class. Spirit goes everywhere down there, and I'm pretty sure they are full.

Try again Flop.

I didn't say they were seated in first class necessarily. I'm saying they pay more for tickets. They like assigned seats and to be fed most generally.

We don't have a common frame of reference. I didn't fail to mention Spirit and Allegiant or Airtran. There is nothing devious about how they operate. With SWA there most definitely is. You're going to show up (with a lot of fanfare) and with no codeshare (which means you think you're entitled to have all the money go one way [you]). These foreign airlines are going to start to question why you think you're entitled to space on their airports and in their terminals and you don't make the same [equal] accommodation for them?

This is where Gary will step in with the next part of the plan.

Latest resources

Back