UPS to drop 15,000 spouse off health insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerfun

"According to Kaiser, UPS (NYSE: UPS) told white-collar workers two months ago that 15,000 working Spouses Eligible for coverage by their own employers Would be excluded from UPS plan in 2014"

"According to Kaiser, UPS (NYSE: UPS) told white-collar workers two months ago that 15,000 working Spouses Eligible for coverage by their own employers Would be excluded from UPS plan in 2014"

This is becoming more and more common. Companies feel why should they pay for spousal health care when the working spouses company should pay for theirs.

This is becoming more and more common. Companies feel why should they pay for spousal health care when the working spouses company should pay for theirs.
Textron did a similar thing this year. They didn't drop the spouse they just charged a higher premium if the spouse was covered by another employers plan. If all companies did this wouldn't the net effect be theoretically zero? Company A eliminates a spouse who works for company B and an employee of Company B has a spouse that works for company A. They both drop spouses and the spouses enroll in their own plan. So the net savings is zero to both companies. I guess the companies that do this will save initially until the rest of them catch on.

Textron did a similar thing this year. They didn't drop the spouse they just charged a higher premium if the spouse was covered by another employers plan. If all companies did this wouldn't the net effect be theoretically zero? Company A eliminates a spouse who works for company B and an employee of Company B has a spouse that works for company A. They both drop spouses and the spouses enroll in their own plan. So the net savings is zero to both companies. I guess the companies that do this will save initially until the rest of them catch on.

You are correct if all health insurance plans are the same. If my plan is better than my wife's plan, somebody loses.

Also, the employee contributions for the insurance are probably different (e.g. I pay 20% of the cost and my wife pays 30%)

If y'all voted for Obama, you deserve it. That's the hope and change you deserve.
The amazing thing about that is Obama voters will defend it to the end even though they are seeing their premiums going out of sight.

If y'all voted for Obama, you deserve it. That's the hope and change you deserve.

Yep. What we conservatives said Obamacare would do is happening as we speak. Next will come massive program outlay inflation followed by deficit spending up the wazoo to cover the expenses of the program, followed by a dramatic slowdown in medical procedure innovations and pharmacological research and development, followed by nurse and doctor shortages, followed by rationing. Then, the Left will say the solution is for the government to provide all medical care. Just great.

Latest resources

Back