• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you a cocky pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Honestly, as long as it doesn't impact overall safety, who cares???

Last thing I want to do is fly with a serious IT nerd type person. I don't mind cocky as long as it does not compromise safety... If you are cocky and clearly unsafe, then that is another story.

I'm always open to suggestions to better myself as a pilot, and reciprocate that with the people I fly with.

I'm always open to suggestions to better myself as a pilot, and reciprocate that with the people I fly with.

Ah you single pilot ops!!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, as long as it doesn't impact overall safety, who cares???

Last thing I want to do is fly with a serious IT nerd type person. I don't mind cocky as long as it does not compromise safety... If you are cocky and clearly unsafe, then that is another story.
But is the average pilot a decent judge of whether any nonstandard procedure really compromises safety or not?

No one said anything about an IT nerd type person. What I'm talking about are the guys (and you all know them if you're not one of them) who don't believe in doing anything standard. I guess the reasoning is, "if it doesn't kill me when I take a short cut, why should I bother doing it the way it's supposed to be done?"

The problem with this is that often this leads you into test-pilot territory, without you even knowing it. For example, I recently flew with a guy who intentionally accelerated after T/O so that he was at Vt by 1000 agl. I guess it saved him from having to actually use his triceps all at once, or maybe he thought he was getting there sooner. Sure it works 99.999999% of the time, but what about that time when you need absolute max performance to avoid that obstacle you had no idea was there?

If you are okay with doing something that would take a one-in-a-million type situation to kill you, consider that Expressjet flies almost a million flights per year. Still like those odds?

This goes for not just the things we know could be dangerous, but all the million little things that seem completely inconsequential, like poor radio phraseology or nonstandard callouts. Everything is designed the way it is for a reason, and very often standardized rules are written with someone else's blood. Are you smart enough to know exactly which accident lead to the creation of the procedure you are dismissing, and are you absolutely sure you are not following in those same footsteps?

I guess I just know too many friends who were killed in crashes. I'm sure they all thought that they could get away with the things they were doing, too.

Ask capt arrogant rose how that dca p56 bust went. He's one step closer of being a astronaut. Endeveour

Okay, I'm just venting, but have you guys noticed a correlation between guys who, at some point on a trip, say "you know, this job is just not that hard," and then they prove to JUST SUCK as a pilot (especially the standardized part)? They can't accept suggestions (to avoid a major undesired state), and then make excuses for why it was all someone else's fault? I think it's a generational Millennials thing, but it boils down to, are you actually trying to be a better pilot with a little humility, or do you think you are God's gift to aviation already?

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now.

Guess you don t read the paper in flight?

Latest resources

Back